Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this?

/ Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this? #1  

TheCableGuy

Tractor
Huskee
As you know the bypass shear is one of the best shears out there. If you have a professional or hvyduty grade this shear can almost make it through anything. I am a cable install tech and I use it to cut through dual quad shield coax, 10g ground wire and anything else that gets in my way. What I would like to know is if anyone out there has tried sharpening the bottom flat blade of this tool? My plan was to buy the dremel garden tool sharpening attachment. What I was thinking is that both blades being sharp would shear through wire like butter. Has anybody tried doing this, does anybody have any other suggestions or is this just a bad idea? Any answers would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this? #2  
I have not tried sharpening the bottom flat blade, but I do thoroughly clean it at times with the wire wheel on my 6" bench grinder. I sharpen the other piece with a 2" or 3" sanding disk in my pneumatic angle die grinder.

/ Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this? #3  
If what I "think" you are talking about, NO I would not sharpen the bottom. Only one side is supposed to cut. The other is simply there to hold the piece you are cutting.

I think it you sharpen the bottom blade, it will cut worse. Cause instead of ONE side cutting (and cutting all the way through) you will have two sides trying to cut. You will end up with an un-cut section in the middle that trys to force the blades away from each other.

Similar to what happens when trying to cut something like thick cardboard with a cheap pair of scissors. How the scissors kinda twist and wedges the cardboard between the blades in the wrong direction.

This is just my opinion and its worth what you paid for it.

/ Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this? #4  
Also keep in mind that they were not designed to cut wire in the first place. ;)

/ Bypass shear shrpening question. Has anybody tried this? #5  
I always take the bolt out of the middle, and sharpen the blade using the lansky. It gets the blade shaving sharp. I believe that LD1 described, pretty accurate, what would happen, if there were two sharp edges. The thing is supposed to be that way for a reason.
However, there's a lot of different sizes of cable cutters out there, that work like you describe. I think you should look into those. They've got them the size of big pliers, on up to 4 ft. handles.