Tractor
    Kubota MX 4700hst, B7100, RTV 900

Default Stihl Kombi or dedicated hedge trimmer and dedicated pole saw

I am in the market for a gas hedge trimmer and pole saw. I am going to buy Stihl, but I don't know weather to get the Kombi unit, so I can change the attachments out, or if I should buy the dedicated single use tools. My only concern is how heavy duty are the kombi attachments. I know the quality of the comercial grade Stihl tools, so I have no worries there. Any coments and advise would be great. Thanks.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I have a kombi stihl (km 90) and the durability of the attachment point is impressive. I think just as strong/solid as a non-kombi tool. I don't have either of the attachments you mentioned, but am only vouching for the strength.

The pole saw may not go as long without multiple extensions, which stihl doesn't recommend.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Default Re: Stihl Kombi or dedicated hedge trimmer and dedicated pole saw

I have a Kombi and have never had a problem. I have the pole saw and the hedge trimmer, as well as other attachments.

I am very satisfied, and am very pleased with having one motor, which means it gets used more often and is easier to maintain than a motor on every unit.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Toro Wheel Horse, Gravely, Simplicity, UFT, David Bradley

I have a Stihl HT 56C that I bought almost five years ago to care for hurricane damage. It has been used twice in those years, so get a Kombi if you can.
    John Matthews

2000 Toro Wheel Horse 520xi, 1998 Toro Wheel Horse 523Dxi, 1998 Toro Wheel Horse 518xi,
    1986 Wheel Horse 312A, 1983 Wheel Horse C-105, 1981 C-145, 1981 DC105

1981 Gravely 5240, 1980 Gravely 5665 Commercial, 1974 Gravely C-8
    1980 UFT Mountaineer
    1962 MW Power Trac, 1952 MW Chor Trac, 1951 Simplicity Model L
    1952 David Bradley 57560

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

I have two Kombi, used them extensively. I use the chain saw attachment and the articulating hedge trimmer. They are great. I also have the standard stihl hedge trimmer and sidewalk edger. They are exactly like the Kombi, only can't break the shaft apart to store them or transport. So the Kombi shaft works perfectly. There's no difference in the Kombi or non Kombi tool. I'll never buy another regular Stihl, if it's available in the Kombi version. I think my motor is the 110 unit, not the biggest but the second size. Works great

Veteran Member
    Tractor

I have two Kombi, used them extensively. I use the chain saw attachment and the articulating hedge trimmer. They are great. I also have the standard stihl hedge trimmer and sidewalk edger. They are exactly like the Kombi, only can't break the shaft apart to store them or transport. So the Kombi shaft works perfectly. There's no difference in the Kombi or non Kombi tool. I'll never buy another regular Stihl, if it's available in the Kombi version. I think my motor is the 110 unit, not the biggest but the second size. Works great

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

I can't recommend the shindaiwa brand enough. And I don't work for them. They are so good, their competition Echo bought them.
    The measure of any man's virtue is what he would do, if he had neither the laws, nor public opinion, or even his own prejudices to control him. - William Hazlitt

Veteran Member
    Tractor