Brushcutter advice

/ Brushcutter advice #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
I am looking at getting a brush cutter but can't decide between Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. I haven't looked at a specific model yet. I'm wanting to wait until I get some advice on these brands.

/ Brushcutter advice #2  
How heavy of brush are you cutting?

/ Brushcutter advice
I'm thinking trees under around 1"-1 1/2"in diameter. I figure I'll need at least a 40 cc engine. Could get by with less but would like to know the power's there if I need it.

/ Brushcutter advice #4  
JustinE,

I recently purchased a Stihl FS130 with saw blade and I'm very impressed with how fast it cuts trees. 1" to 1-1/2" is no problem and in fact I cut some much larger. The bigger ones might need two passes but it will cut faster than a chainsaw. Whatever you do make certain to get the bicycle handles versus the loop for better control.

The rate at which this cuts in amazingly fast. In a few hours I was able to cut hundreds of sapplings down on my hunting propery.

My Dad has the FS 90 with loop handle and it is very efficient cutting, but the loop makes it too difficult to control while cutting. Based on how well this cuts and how scary fast my FS130 cuts I see no reason to buy something bigger.

/ Brushcutter advice #5  
I also have the FS130. I can run with the chisel blade for hours, sharpening as required as I go. You'll need bike bars and a 4 point harness once you attach a saw blade. When pricing it out make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

/ Brushcutter advice #6  
Look at the Stihl FS90. You can put a saw blade on it. Works great. I would only buy Stihl.

/ Brushcutter advice
I've been looking at the Echo SRM 410 U. One thing I like is the metal shield over the plastic I've seen on Stihl and Husqvarna cutters.

/ Brushcutter advice #8  
JustinE,

Forgot to add this in the original post (#4).

In the event it helps. My FS130 is outfitted with a Chisel Tooth blade and my Dad's FS90 uses the Scatcher tooth blade. Both of these look like circular saw blades. If the trimmer is outfitted with the bicycle handles it comes with a 4-pt harness.

FYI... I also had a very old McCulluch HD Trimmmer/Cutter with circular blade and it doesn't cut anywhere near as well as the two Stihls listed above. (This was more of a semi-professional straight shaft model at the time and it came with bicycle handles)

/ Brushcutter advice
Ok, I'm considering these.

Stihl 460 C-EM for $1,149.95 plus tax.

Husqvarna 345FR for $779.95 plus tax

Echo SRM-410U $579.99 plus tax.

/ Brushcutter advice #10  
I think the stihl is out of the league of the other 2, for the same price maybe try the f250 which is probably a more comparable machine. I could be wrong as I am not a stihl salesman, but as far as I know nobody makes anything comparable to 460, so it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.