Tractor
    none

Default Powered topsoil spreader

I need a spreader for topsoil for a hill on my property which is covered with ivy but is too steep for the typical spreader. Rain washes soil down the hill and I need to replenish the topsoil from time to time. The spreader needs to be stationary but powered so that topsoil can be spread over a distance of 10 to 20 feet. I have searched and can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Default Re: Powered topsoil spreader

Quote Originally Posted by RMATTEN View Post
    I need a spreader for topsoil for a hill on my property which is covered with ivy but is too steep for the typical spreader. Rain washes soil down the hill and I need to replenish the topsoil from time to time. The spreader needs to be stationary but powered so that topsoil can be spread over a distance of 10 to 20 feet. I have searched and can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Never heard of any such thing.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

manure spreader would do it, though need large enough tractor and RPM's to get that spreader to fling the poo!! i mean top soil!

if hill is going down. just drop the top soil and use one of them single handle tillers (for flower beds), ((make sure it turns in correct direction)) and let it fling top soil on you and also bring top soil down the hill.

you could always build a "chute" out of some lumber that way it would be easier to use flat head shovel. to scrap top soil down he chute....

i am not sure if a PTO powered seed spreader would work. you might try and see how you could get a "dry fertilizer spreader" vs stating top soil...
    Ryan

Silver Member
    Tractor
    several kinds and sizes

They make a unit called "slinger" that is used by town sewage people to spread sludge among tree rows!---they look like manure spreaders only sling the stuff out to the side instead of the back, allowing you to drive along the top of a cliff and toss it over the edge, Probably 30 to 50 feet, just a guess!--- saw a used one at auction the other day,---didnt bring much!
    You might also look for a smaller side throw farm size manure spreader! thanks; sonny580

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

I have heard that 3pt snowblowers work good for this. Mine is certainly heavy enough that screened soul wouldn't damage it. You would just want to keep the rocks out.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet
    2007 F150 SCab 4X4
    2011 JD 2520
    Box blade, MMM, FEL, Landscape rake, PHD, Rear Snow blower, Rototiller, 50 year old 8 foot disc
    Sylvan 2520 Pontoon Boat
    Honda 919