Leaf Blower - Small Engine question

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Folks,

I've got a handheld homelite leaf blower from HD, and I've had it for a number of years. It works OK.

I've just noticd that it runs MUCH better and slightly faster on about 1/2 choke than on wide open, and until it gets really warmed up, it seems it will NOT run at wide open (it slows down and stalls).

This seems not right to me, and my assumption is that being a n00b, I've done something wrong like forgotten to take to off 1/2 choke when I was running and fouled something up.

So one of you small engine experts please advise me. Have I really messed something up, is there a way to fix this, or is it no big deal, keep on keeping on?

Thanks in advance.
David

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #2  
David,
I would suspect you a piece of dirt, grass,etc. partially blocking one of the passages in the carb causing a slightly lean mixture. Could also be one of the diaphrams in the carb getting stretched and not pumping fuel as well as a new one does. I have about a 50/50 chance of geeting these little carbs cleaned and running properly again. Are their any adjustments for fuel mixture on the carb?

Roy

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #3  
I have a "Weedeater" leaf blower that I've had and used heavily for 13 years. It's never run without a little choke (1/4 to 1/2) but it runs fine and works well so I don't worry about it.

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question
David,
I would suspect you a piece of dirt, grass,etc. partially blocking one of the passages in the carb causing a slightly lean mixture. Could also be one of the diaphrams in the carb getting stretched and not pumping fuel as well as a new one does. I have about a 50/50 chance of geeting these little carbs cleaned and running properly again. Are their any adjustments for fuel mixture on the carb?

Roy

Roy,

I cannot find the manual, so i will try to take it apart and see if I can see anything that looks like an adjustment...

Thanks.

David

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #5  
I have a 20 year old Snapper blower that exhibited similar behavior. It would only run on 3/4 choke, and would not run as fast as when it was new. The oil filter had disintegrated and been sucked into the carburetor at one point before this problem started. I took the blower to a small engine shop expecting them to have to take the carburetor all apart and clean it out. I expected an expensive repair. It turned out all they needed to do was adjust the carburetor adjustment screws on the outside of the blower. it cost $25 bucks, including a new air filter.

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question
I'm going to check the air filter and look for screws on the carb.

I also noticed that if I run it for a while, as it gets close to the end of the tank of gas it slows down even more.

Thanks in advance.
David

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #7  
oldnslo said:
David,

Roy

David - I would agree with this poster that it is a carb issue. It could be something that can be cleaned or it may call for a replacement carb. Carbs are a bit tricky on small motors. One other thing to check, if there is any kind of air or vacuum line, check it for cracks or kinks. You should be able to get a new carb for around $30 so you'll have to decide if that kind of investment is worth saving the blower.

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #8  
The homelites have a valve in the fuel cap they were a problem years ago, maybe yours falls in this range. The valve is replaceable but usually anew cap is more readily available. Try loosening the fuel cap when you notice the problem and see if it is better. I just poke a wire through the cap vent but it will leak at certain angles.
The other problem is the fuel lines are affected by the ethanol in the gasoline. It breaks them down and they collapse under suction, might be why the problem is more pronounced at low fuel levels.

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #9  
The first gasoline leave blower I had was a Homelite. I changed out the fuel lines a couple of time and it always cranked on the 2nd or third pull. After 15 years the lines went bad again so I just tossed it an bought a new one. Everytime I have to pull 5 or 6 times to crank the new one, I wish I had fixed the old homelite. I have a new Homelite chainsaw in the box setting on the shelf in my shop just waiting for my Husky to give me problems. Dad had one when I was about 14 and it always cranked easy, must be a Homelite trait.

/ Leaf Blower - Small Engine question #10  
After this tread was started, I was jinked and my blower engine lost its high end power. I did fix it and it runs better than it has in a while. First I tried to adjust the carb adjustments, not that, next I sprayed out with carb cleaner and air blower, not that either. Then I tore the carb off, took adjustment screws (pins) out, cleaned it out with spray carb cleaner, put it back together and it fired up in first pull, top end power like always and now runs great. I have the Stihl blower. Great tool just needed a little cleaning. Good for another 5 years I'm sure.