Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #1  

HMS

I have a Stihl BR 500 backpack blower that acts like it's running out of fuel at a half tank. It will start to falter then run a while and finally quit. I fill it
up and it will run fine until about a half tank. The blower is used mostly during leaf season but also sporadically throughout the year on a two acre property.
I always use "Stabil" and non-ethynol fuel 75% of the time. The blower is about 4 years old. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Howard

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #2  
The fuel line in the tank could have a crack in it. As long as the crack is in the fuel it runs fine, although the fuel would be passing the filter. Just a quick thought.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #3  
The fuel line in the tank could have a crack in it. As long as the crack is in the fuel it runs fine, although the fuel would be passing the filter. Just a quick thought.

Agree. Also change the fuel filter in the tank.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #4  
I don't know if this applies to the BR500, but the BR600 had a similar issue where the fuel pickup would stop working properly around a half tank. Stihl redesigned the fuel pickup in the BR600 Magnum by adding a "T" and using two filter/pickups. The symptoms are as you described, so your issue could be related to the fuel pickup. Using a heavier filter or a dual filter pickup could be a solution.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #5  
Probably not the reason but you are running the Sthil synthetic oil in your mix with at least 89 octane or some other synthetic? My BR600 called for it and now I have all my Sthil power tools on it.

My blower sits idle alot between leaf seasons. I had it serviced this fall after four years. Fuel lines still in good shape. This season was a "killer". I ran out over 20 gallons of fuel!

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas
Thanks guys, I kind of thought it had something to do with the fuel pick up but thought I'd check it out in case there was some Stihl issue.
Besides my heater is out in my shop and it's too cold to work on it in there, should be fixed today.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #7  
Just in case make sure fuel cap if it is vented is clean also. Doubt if that would cause those symptons though.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #8  
Check your exhaust and see if the screen is clogged.

I removed the screens on my backpack blowers.

I always kept some spare fuel filters on my landscape truck, and a long bent wire to pull the filter out of the tank.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #9  
Check your exhaust and see if the screen is clogged.

I removed the screens on my backpack blowers.

I always kept some spare fuel filters on my landscape truck, and a long bent wire to pull the filter out of the tank.
The mud daubbers like the exhaust as well.

/ Stihl BR500 acts like it's running out of gas #10  
I had my stihl weed eater do the same thing, I took it in to the shop i got it from, and they replaced the fuel line Some how the fuel line and filter can come undone. Take it in to the shop, it was a quick fix.