Pressure washer, serviceable parts?

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
I've got a Karcher 2400 psi pressure washer, I horse traded for it a few years ago, it was used and the owner stated it needed a pump, But I figured out a way to use it as it was, I discovered it was only a small issue, When at first testing it had no pressure, so I began to troubleshoot it by first removing the tip, and give a squeeze of the spray nozzle, The first time a small stream of water squirt out about 3 ft. the 2nd squeeze shot it over 30 ft. I quickly put the QD tip back on and give a 3rd. squeeze,.... it started working perfectly, however once ever let off the spray handle it would not spray again, so I repeatedly remove the tip give a quick shot and re-connect the tip,
so's as long as I don't let off the handle it will stay spraying with good pressure force, over the time of using this pressure washer I simply just do not let off of squeezing the handle, but by holding it for 30+ minutes at a time my hand becomes fatigue and tired,.. Has anyone experienced similar issues with your pressure washer? I could of course change the pump but not sure if will resolve the issue if in fact might be something else wrong.... and if this problem is the pump and I wind up having to replace it, Can I go up to a stronger Pump? say a 3000 psi ? only a few dollars differents in cost, BTW the 5 hp ( honda )engine runs perfectly, Would this size engine be under powered for a 3000 pump?
Thanks Folks

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts? #2  
Other than minor parts and cleaning . A radial pump isn't a durable device or worth repairing.
A bolt on replacement three piston ceramic CAT or COMET pump is a long term solution. Added plus is with the ceramic pump the washer can be supplied with hot water from an ordinary domestic water heater.
After washing with hot water vs cold water . You won't go back to fooling around with cold water.

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts?
:thumbsup: Thank you, seems like an easy enough fix, and to think all this time :eek:

I'll let you know how it goes;)

well I did just as the video suggest to do, It didn't look to be corroded but did find one of the O-rings in badly chewed up, so I replaced it put grease on the gizmo, got it all back together and it actually worked, for a little while, I got off about 8 blast one after another and then it hung up again, I'll be taking it apart once again to see how the new O-ring looks, Might be something down inside the hole that needs to be cleaned up,

Yesterday while searching the local CL for perhaps another ( larger ) pressure washer, I happen upon an ad with someone having a unit exactly like the one I have, I inquired about it with the possibility of have extra parts for the one I have if ever need be, for 40.00 . he described it having the same issue mine has, Engine runs good, everything included, lance, tips, etc, so now I have two to work on:cool:
If I can get them both up and working correctly I might see if I can sell or trade them both off for one larger one, I liked the suggestion of having Hot water usage, :thumbsup:

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts? #7  
if screwing with the wand made it work for a few times, then I would have to say the pump is ok. Try just buying a new lance, a good american made one is only like $70-100.

to answer your other question, you can not size an engine to pump by psi only. The GPM is very important, almost more important. I have an industrial pressure washer with an 18hp kohler magnum, it is only 3500psi but is 5.6 GPM. Higher pressure may have more focused force, but higher gpm will get more work done. I can maintain pressure with a larger tip to flow more water. Check the recommended hp for whatever given pump you are looking at.

Now that I have 2 lances I might at least try using the other one with my old washer to see if it works any better, I never considered the lance being the problem, at first I thought perhaps the tip was stopped up, although when changing it with another had no different results,
Incidentally: I'm not sure of the quality of the spray nozzle valve/lance, It reads its made in Italy, at least not china,;)

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts? #9  
The unloader valve is sticking in you pump. I repair Karcher pumps several times a year for customers. The parts to repair the pump are available and relatively cheap. if yours is the one where you remove the two torx screws from the thermal relief valve and pull the unloader out, the entire unloader assy is like $12.

/ Pressure washer, serviceable parts? #10  
i agree.. it's an unloader issue.

you can get exploded diagrams online for karcher..