Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Default Pressure washer, serviceable parts?

I've got a Karcher 2400 psi pressure washer, I horse traded for it a few years ago, it was used and the owner stated it needed a pump, But I figured out a way to use it as it was, I discovered it was only a small issue, When at first testing it had no pressure, so I began to troubleshoot it by first removing the tip, and give a squeeze of the spray nozzle, The first time a small stream of water squirt out about 3 ft. the 2nd squeeze shot it over 30 ft. I quickly put the QD tip back on and give a 3rd. squeeze,.... it started working perfectly, however once ever let off the spray handle it would not spray again, so I repeatedly remove the tip give a quick shot and re-connect the tip,
    so's as long as I don't let off the handle it will stay spraying with good pressure force, over the time of using this pressure washer I simply just do not let off of squeezing the handle, but by holding it for 30+ minutes at a time my hand becomes fatigue and tired,.. Has anyone experienced similar issues with your pressure washer? I could of course change the pump but not sure if will resolve the issue if in fact might be something else wrong.... and if this problem is the pump and I wind up having to replace it, Can I go up to a stronger Pump? say a 3000 psi ? only a few dollars differents in cost, BTW the 5 hp ( honda )engine runs perfectly, Would this size engine be under powered for a 3000 pump?
    Thanks Folks
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Default Re: Pressure washer, serviceable parts?

Other than minor parts and cleaning . A radial pump isn't a durable device or worth repairing.
    A bolt on replacement three piston ceramic CAT or COMET pump is a long term solution. Added plus is with the ceramic pump the washer can be supplied with hot water from an ordinary domestic water heater.
    After washing with hot water vs cold water . You won't go back to fooling around with cold water.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

google "karcher unloader valve sticking"
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=a...=1920&bih=1027

I have an old C-H electric unit that has a similar problem with the pressure switch. I just taped the handle and turn it off and on manually.
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Thank you, seems like an easy enough fix, and to think all this time

I'll let you know how it goes

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

well I did just as the video suggest to do, It didn't look to be corroded but did find one of the O-rings in badly chewed up, so I replaced it put grease on the gizmo, got it all back together and it actually worked, for a little while, I got off about 8 blast one after another and then it hung up again, I'll be taking it apart once again to see how the new O-ring looks, Might be something down inside the hole that needs to be cleaned up,

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Yesterday while searching the local CL for perhaps another ( larger ) pressure washer, I happen upon an ad with someone having a unit exactly like the one I have, I inquired about it with the possibility of have extra parts for the one I have if ever need be, for 40.00 . he described it having the same issue mine has, Engine runs good, everything included, lance, tips, etc, so now I have two to work on
    If I can get them both up and working correctly I might see if I can sell or trade them both off for one larger one, I liked the suggestion of having Hot water usage,

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

if screwing with the wand made it work for a few times, then I would have to say the pump is ok. Try just buying a new lance, a good american made one is only like $70-100.

to answer your other question, you can not size an engine to pump by psi only. The GPM is very important, almost more important. I have an industrial pressure washer with an 18hp kohler magnum, it is only 3500psi but is 5.6 GPM. Higher pressure may have more focused force, but higher gpm will get more work done. I can maintain pressure with a larger tip to flow more water. Check the recommended hp for whatever given pump you are looking at.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Now that I have 2 lances I might at least try using the other one with my old washer to see if it works any better, I never considered the lance being the problem, at first I thought perhaps the tip was stopped up, although when changing it with another had no different results,
    Incidentally: I'm not sure of the quality of the spray nozzle valve/lance, It reads its made in Italy, at least not china,

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

The unloader valve is sticking in you pump. I repair Karcher pumps several times a year for customers. The parts to repair the pump are available and relatively cheap. if yours is the one where you remove the two torx screws from the thermal relief valve and pull the unloader out, the entire unloader assy is like $12.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, Beecher City, IL
    Briggs and Stratton MST (Master Service Technician)
    ILENGINE over at Lawnmowerforum

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i agree.. it's an unloader issue.

you can get exploded diagrams online for karcher..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast