Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna?

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #1  

farrington

Tractor
cub cadet zero turn
Want to find a better way to trim under fence lines, around beds and trees (planted 250 white pines......220 growing well) plus around a 3.5 acre pond. Other than being 'always behind' with outdoor chores, now am beyond the 'overwhelmed' phase. Have tried many hand held trimmers over the years and am still searching for a better way, and less painful on hands, wrists, arms (65 yrs old, but still going kinda strong.) last year saw the Husqvarna Walk Behind Trimmer in the Ace Hardware catalog, but wasn't ready to spend $350 plus. Now am READY.

Started my research a few weeks ago and found even more manufacturers/models of this type of trimmer. Checked Consumer Reports on-line (monthly subscription) but no category for the walk behind trimmer; called CR and confirmed that no walk- behind-trimmer category available. Checked Amazon (always read Consumer Reviews before buying anything on-line and other) and was ready to buy a Husqvarna (vs. Poulon, Ariens, Swisher.) Went to local Ace (they service my other equipment) ready to buy and salesman suggested a DR Power Trimer/Mower. Came home and checked the DR Power website and 5 models, manual and electric, ranging from $350 - $1150. Googled DR Power reviews and found some old reviews/forums on this site but years old, nothing new. Not many reviews on DR Power's website on the NEW products (but how reliable are those anyway?) so need some guidance.

Had come to terms with spending $350, but am ready to spend a little more if I can find a 'good/great' product (?) Any recommendations? (Live in Central Virginia, property is level to rolling terrain down to pond embankment.)

Thanks for any input....

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #2  
Can't speak of one brand or the other but my neighbor has had a few of them lately. He buys old ones and runs them for a while. He has a lot of equipment in a field and he has guys mow about an acre with them all year and they do the job, I don't think anything else could. I used to mow under fences with front deck on a mower. Any mower with a deck out front would work, I mean way out front. I would not leave any grass except about 2" from the post and some people spray that instead of mowing it.

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #3  
I have a DR Trimmer Mower that I have had for over ten years. It has the Kawasaki OHV engine which has been completely trouble free although they no longer offer that engine. I think it is the best walk behind trimmer/mower on the market but also the most expensive. What I like over some other products is the trimmer head almost never plugs. A neighbor of mine has the Swisher model and he complains that the trimmer head will get wound up with quackgrass or other types long stem weeds. Using the heaviest cutting cords they offer it is amazing what these trimmer/mowers can go through. Eye protection is absolutely mandatory and be prepared to a shower after a day of trimming. I bought their Beaver blade for cutting small saplings and was pleasantly surprised although it seemed to dull rather quickly. I tried their Durablade which is a trimmer head with three rotating plastic cutting blade and was not impressed. That is sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

The DR folks are generally pretty good to deal with if you need replacement parts but they are shipped from Vermont so it can take a couple of days. I expect to get another ten years out of mine but when its time to replace I will purchase another DR.

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #4  
I have the Ariens -- I bought it for $150 used about five years ago. I modified it to so that the wheels are centered lower (lifting the machine higher) because it was just too hard to use on rough ground. Since that little change it is my go to machine for just about every trimming and rough cut task where I cannot use the bushhog. I have looked at getting a beaver blade for it for brushcutting but have not yet. The string lasts a long time except around rocks and wire. I rigged up a piece of ABS pipe on the handle bars to carry precut pieces so I dont have to go back to the barn when I lose one. My buddy bought one at an auction last fall that that I think was made by MTD. Smaller unit but it was cheap ($75), seems to be easy to push, powerful (6hp) and cuts just fine.
I also carry a linoleum knife with me because if it does wind long stringy stuff around the shaft, it can be quickly cut out with the hooked blade. If the shaft does plug, it is usually because I am cutting four to five foot high weeds and aim for the base -- if you tilt the machine a little it will take out the top half and then cut the bottom it almost never plugs.
I would be tempted to look for a used one -- seems lots of folks buy them thinking that they will eliminate work and then find that it still requires some effort!

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna?
Thank you both for the input. Will check out the mower angle but with both of your replies, feeling better about DR. I was checking out their accessory line and I do like the Beaver Blade; in the Fall I use Fiskars long handle cutters to trim away the saplings on the dam side of the pond, and the possibility of using the blade to cut more, and faster, would be a time saver. Need as much versatlity as possible in equipment!

Thanks again

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna?
Thanks....used one is a good one, especially if one is good with equipment. I spent 5 weeks last summer trying to repair my garden mower, and learned alot on the way, but still needed someone with more expertise to resolve the problem. But I did learn alot. like all your ideas, like the ABS pipe for additional lines, and the linoleum knife...what good tips......and the tipping up the trimmer...will do!
As long as I stay here, I will never eliminate the work to be done, but with versatile equipment, and hopefully working smarter, with the right equipment, i will be able to get more accomplished, and won't feel so behind/overwhelmed!

Thanks again!

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #7  
I have both a DR and a Craftsman trimmer. Both do a fine job but I would say the DR seems better built and has ball bearing wheels which makes it much easier to push along. Both are about equal in line life which is the biggest pain for me, changing broken line. Be ultra careful trimming around those 1/2"+ saplings!

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #8  
Have tried many hand held trimmers over the years and am still searching for a better way, and less painful on hands, wrists, arms

Since I've not used one except the DR, I can't give a comparison, but I bought the DR in the '90s when I had carpal tunnel problems resulting in surgery on both wrists. I loved it, and only sold it when we had to move back to town.

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #9  
I am pretty sure you could dig up some old threads on walk behind trimmers. I had a Troy-Bilt. With the heavy "X" style Oregon cord it would cut just fine. I was doing about 10,000 feet of fenceline, some pretty hilly. I don't know if any are self propelled but my was not and was too much on the hills. I sold mine and went back to a Stihl weed wacker with handlebars.

/ Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower.. which is the best for the $.......DR Power, Husqvarna? #10  
I have 2 Dr's (5hp and 6 hp) they are the older units and I use them every year on this 5.5 acre combo. garden/ orchard yard!---I never had any problem with either of them,--so I would recommend them! thanks; sonny 580