Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair...

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #1  

jeffinsgf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410
I've always been able to tell when a small engine had a carburetor problem, but have always relied on a small engine shop to take care of the problem. Well, I've got a little Turfco edger with a 5HP B&S engine that hasn't wanted to start for a couple years. Since it is more a convenience than a necessity, every time it didn't start, I just pushed it aside and edged with my trimmer. I promised myself the next time it rained, I would tear the thing apart and learn how to clean a small engine carburetor. An hour or so surfing YouTube, and I was prepared to tackle the job when it started raining this morning.

Wasn't much to it, as it turns out...just keep track of where all the linkages go as you tear it down, then blast everything with carb and choke cleaner, make sure the ports are clean, replace any pitted or worn parts and put it all back together. Started on the second pull and purrs like a kitten. That little learning experience is going to save me a few bucks each year, and give me back a ton of time I spend waiting for my place in line at the small engine shop.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #2  
Good job!
On stuff like linkages, often I photograph it in case I forget. It makes me feel more worry free. I love cheap digital cameras for stuff like that.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #3  
I typically do the same. I have one 30 year old Tecumseh carb I have rebuilt twice in two years and I am having troubles again. So I broke down today and bought a $35 Stens replacement carb. There must be some little bit of crud stuck in a jet that I just can't get out. But it is still way better than paying someone to do it.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #4  
I unflrtunately i do 3 or so every year, sometimes multiple times. My snowblower, a small outboard and a small mower. The new carbs gum up really quick because the jets are so small. Some of them are setup so you can leave the carb on and take out the jets only, those are much easier! I learned while on vacation with no internet when the outboard wouldn't work, had to figure it out by eyeballing it.

By the way a single bristle from a grill brush works great for cleaning the jets, no carb cleaner required.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair...
So does one wire out of a copper strand. That's what the guy in a YouTube I watched used. Worked like a charm, and no chance of scratching.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #6  
I unflrtunately i do 3 or so every year, sometimes multiple times. My snowblower, a small outboard and a small mower. The new carbs gum up really quick because the jets are so small. Some of them are setup so you can leave the carb on and take out the jets only, those are much easier! I learned while on vacation with no internet when the outboard wouldn't work, had to figure it out by eyeballing it.

By the way a single bristle from a grill brush works great for cleaning the jets, no carb cleaner required.

That's a good pointer about the grill brush. My smallest wires right now is the ones I pluck out of my file comb; saved me many a time. Folks with pets may get use of a wire from their pet grooming comb, since I believe my file comb is actually a pet grooming comb.

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair... #7  
Nice post , makes me feel better . I've got a couple to look at myself , just not confident about it . My problem is I can't see anymore .

/ Tackled a Small Engine Carb Repair...
Jump in there, Kevin. There's a wealth of information on YouTube, in fact, I found one video on the exact model of engine I was working on. Like posted earlier, keep a camera handy and take pictures as you take things apart.