Stihl Warranty Rant

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #51  
My Merc picks up 2.5 mpg in the summer and drops off in the fall.

My impala does the same, actually about 4 mpg. I am not sure it has anything to do with ethanol or not though. I don't know what the differences are for their "winter formula."

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #52  
Why would you make such a statement? Why do you think the equipment sellers are making ridiculous statements?

That's just it. Stihl is NOT saying to use ethanol free gas, they are saying don't use gas with more than 10% ethanol. So it seems to be ridiculous to say use 0% ethanol when it is not readily available. With all my 2 stroke equipment I can easily use a gallon in a weekend or two. Certainly not paying $36 a gallon!

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #53  
The problem with ethanol gas is it really depends on how well it's blended as to the concentration you get. With the car I get a tank that the fuel mileage is just as good as the ethanol free gas days. Other times the fuel mileage just drops right off. My guess is that the 10% is just an average and you could get higher or lower. If you get higher in equipment that's not designed to handle it then your screwed.

This happened locally. A guy had a new mower engine fail. The maker had the dealer test the gas in the tank. It was 22% ethanol. The maker would NOT replace the engine that was under coverage against defects.

The person who trust the blend of the cheaper ethanol is never more than 10% may be in for a surprise. If 15% mandate occurs next year or when ever we all without complaint run out and buy all new small engine tools.

This is about where all this is going tomorrow as much as it is about today. Most see the trend line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDAw4a6Ck0

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?653498-How-to-test-the-ethanol-content-of-your-fuel

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ethanolTest.html

With simple testing kits starting at around $10 we can at least have a clue of the % of ethanol in the gas we buy. They also visually show the water loving nature of ethanol in our gas tanks.

Last edited:
   / Stihl Warranty Rant #54  
These suggestions not to use gas with ethanol are ridiculous. There is no such thing anymore....not around here. The manual clearly states not to use fuel with more 10% ethanol.

State records show Grayson County is 979 sq miles so not that large. Just outside your county to the east in Bonham there is one station that sells ethanol free and to the west of your county in Gainsville there are two stations that sell ethanol free gas that I can find with less than 2 minutes of research. There may be more since you are much more familiar with the towns in the area than I am.
Do not state "there is no such thing anymore....not around here" when there definitely is in both places. If you chose to not use it that is fine but do not denigrate those that chose to do so for reasons that have been shown to be valid
By the way there are testers that are available that in 10 minutes will tell you just how much alcohol is in your gas that run about $8-$9 and can be used forever, if you do not drop them, (they are glass) and are very easy to use.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #55  
Call Stihl, sounds like the dealer is going to give them a black eye. Any decent company would want to know what local idiots are doing to their name.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #56  
State records show Grayson County is 979 sq miles so not that large. Just outside your county to the east in Bonham there is one station that sells ethanol free and to the west of your county in Gainsville there are two stations that sell ethanol free gas that I can find with less than 2 minutes of research. There may be more since you are much more familiar with the towns in the area than I am.
Do not state "there is no such thing anymore....not around here" when there definitely is in both places. If you chose to not use it that is fine but do not denigrate those that chose to do so for reasons that have been shown to be valid
By the way there are testers that are available that in 10 minutes will tell you just how much alcohol is in your gas that run about $8-$9 and can be used forever, if you do not drop them, (they are glass) and are very easy to use.

Im wondering how accurate those websites are that show ethanol free gas available? And, why would there be only one or two stations in a well populated area that have it available? Just wondering.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #57  
Im wondering how accurate those websites are that show ethanol free gas available? And, why would there be only one or two stations in a well populated area that have it available? Just wondering.

Can not answer as to how accurate the web sites are as they are updated by people like you and me. Garbage in - Garbage out as the old saying goes. Bad info input results in bad info out.

As to why there may be only a few stations, a possible answer is demand, it costs more, significantly more in my area ($0.40-$0.50 per gallon). I know that in my area/state the company manager that sells ethanol free fuel told me that the price is elevated above the "normal" price because they have to pay a fine for selling the fuel without ethanol in it and they roll that into the price they sell to the consumer. If there are not enough folks to pay the higher price they do not offer it. This may not be the case everywhere but apparently is in my area (at least according to the fuel depot where I find it.) I have not found it anywhere other than at fuel depots. Not at the ordinary stations at all.