Stihl Warranty Rant

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #1  

JimWalch

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Well I bought my FS45 string trimmer April 2012. Never let it set with fuel in it longer than a week or two without running it. The gas cap started leaking this month and all the gas lines turned to chewing gum. It gets the same fuel I use in my other 3 Stihl products. (chain saw blower tiller) I also have several other 2 cycle motors. No other problems.

Was going to have the authorized Stihl repair shop fix it (where I bought it) under warranty but 8 weeks wait time. So I ask for the parts under warranty to fix it myself. That will be $27.52. WHAT its under warranty. I have to pay for the parts under warranty? Yes -unless we fix it. No thanks on the 8 weeks of no trimmer! So much for a warranty much less getting 2 extra years for buying a 6-pack of oil. Makes me rethink my future purchases!

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #2  
They get ya coming and going

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #4  
   / Stihl Warranty Rant #5  
Is there another Stihl repair shop nearby that could fix it quicker? Warranty isn't limited to where you purchased.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #6  
For what its worth very few manufactures will just give joe blow off the street parts to repair their machines on warranty. The fault if any lies with the shop itself for having too few mechanics and a large backlog. But even then there is other shops.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #7  
   / Stihl Warranty Rant #8  
I have a Stihl weedeater and brushcutter. After purchasing it, a letter came to my address informing me of possible faulty gas caps. I took it to the dealer and he put a new gas cap on it. BTW, where you aware that if you use the Stihl brand oil, this doubles the warranty? I was told that it isn't advisable to use ethanol gas in a small engine.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #9  
If you buy Stihl premixed gas it is ethanol free premium.

Appreciate your post. Just bought a new Stihl chainsaw and had no idea MotoMix existed. Definitely going to try it! :thumbsup:

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #10  
For many MotoMix is the way to go and protect their engines at the same time. It would be nice to have a can or two should a tree blow down, etc to insure your saw is ready to go in an emergency. Often our 2 cycle mix is a year old and I wind up burning it in a car or truck.

The guy that burns 5 gallons of mix a week does not have a stale fuel issue but he may have an ethanol related issue.