Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
My old trusty Ryobi 740r's gave up the ghost. The first one quit a couple of years ago, so I bought a Cub Cadet because I did not have time to research it. That ryobi lasted about 13 years of moderate use. About 2 years after I bought that first Ryobi, I bought another one from Harbor Freight, but this one was "reconditioned". That one went 12 to 13 years too. I really like using 2 different ones (but it is not necessary) I keep one set up with a trimmer and the other one setup for weed eating. I am getting by on a poulan that I inherited from my dad when he passed.
The Cub gave up the ghost, and I really wonder about this cheap poulan. So I am looking for a decent trimmer. It would be nice if it can except the expandit attachment. Does the higher end trimmers fit the expandit attachments that they sell at the big box stores? I have number of attachments so that would be nice, BUT I can keep the Poulan for the extra attachments and get a nice trimmer for the trimming.
What are your thoughts on Echo, Stihl, Tanaka? Am I missing some good choices? Under $300 would be great, but if that is unrealistic let me know.

Thanks for all the input gang!
Dave

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #2  
I have used and abused 2 Echo trimmers. one set up for string other has a saw blade.

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #3  
i bought the husqvarna and am really happy with it,nice machine.this is my second year with it.

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments
Hey guys, on the husqvarna and echo. Do they have Big box store versions, or are they all the same? I want to make sure I am getting a good quality setup and not like the John Deere that is at the big box stores.
Thanks, Dave

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #5  
My old trusty Ryobi 740r's gave up the ghost. The first one quit a couple of years ago, so I bought a Cub Cadet because I did not have time to research it. That ryobi lasted about 13 years of moderate use. About 2 years after I bought that first Ryobi, I bought another one from Harbor Freight, but this one was "reconditioned". That one went 12 to 13 years too. I really like using 2 different ones (but it is not necessary) I keep one set up with a trimmer and the other one setup for weed eating. I am getting by on a poulan that I inherited from my dad when he passed.
The Cub gave up the ghost, and I really wonder about this cheap poulan. So I am looking for a decent trimmer. It would be nice if it can except the expandit attachment. Does the higher end trimmers fit the expandit attachments that they sell at the big box stores? I have number of attachments so that would be nice, BUT I can keep the Poulan for the extra attachments and get a nice trimmer for the trimming.
What are your thoughts on Echo, Stihl, Tanaka? Am I missing some good choices? Under $300 would be great, but if that is unrealistic let me know.

Thanks for all the input gang!
Dave

I have a 30+ year old Tanaka that is still going. Not strong, but still going.

I've switched to Stihl for dealer access and quality. Love all my Stihl stuff. Two chain saws, cut off saw, two trimmers, backpack sprayer, etc.

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #6  
Hey guys, on the husqvarna and echo. Do they have Big box store versions, or are they all the same? I want to make sure I am getting a good quality setup and not like the John Deere that is at the big box stores.
Thanks, Dave

Buy from a mower shop. I could not state for a fact they don't have two versions.

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments
Wow! 30 years on a tanaka. Thanks Murphy on the suggestion about the mower shop. I was just curious.
A bit of history: I used to live in the city, but 10 years ago we moved to 5 acre's. I went thru a couple of box store mowers before getting a grasshopper mower (that I have had for 7 years) and it has been flawless! I have seen first hand that the pro stuff pays off in the long run. That is why I am really wanting to make sure I get a good quality trimmer that will last.
Keep the comments comming!
Thanks, Dave

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #8  
Wow! 30 years on a tanaka. Thanks Murphy on the suggestion about the mower shop. I was just curious.
A bit of history: I used to live in the city, but 10 years ago we moved to 5 acre's. I went thru a couple of box store mowers before getting a grasshopper mower (that I have had for 7 years) and it has been flawless! I have seen first hand that the pro stuff pays off in the long run. That is why I am really wanting to make sure I get a good quality trimmer that will last.
Keep the comments comming!
Thanks, Dave

Yeah. That Tanaka has been a good purchase. I can't complain except that they have no parts/service around Texas any more. Never really needed much service but as old as it is it's down to just light grass trimming.

/ Need new professional Trimmer/ Any that except Expandit attachments #9  
Considering I recently bought a Tanaka trimmer, hearing about 30+ years of use is encouraging.