Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #1  

LouieJunior

Gold Member
Tractor
JD4052R Open Station
I'm considering purchasing a brush cutter, with a saw blade, to clear dense willow growth on my property -- the area is too far gone to use the bush hog. The largest trees are 3-4" in diameter. Am I looking at the right models for this project? Also, my intent is to cut them at, or near ground level. Will contact with the ground dull the cutting edge -- like it does with a chain saw?

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #2  
Yes if a chisel tooth blade hits the ground you will dull it. Ask me how I know.
I run a FS450 with chisel tooth and also a brush knife and am very happy with it. There is a company that makes a carbide tip chisel tooth that is more resistant to incidental ground damage but if it contacts solid rock or steel especially, the carbide tips are shed and it is worthless. The Stihl steel chisel blade can be sharpened many times and I do that in the field regularly.

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #3  
I have a 252rx.

I can cut 4-5" without issue, but I have more power than what your looking at. The 345 SHOULD be able to handle it, but Id go larger if the budget allows. Generally what I cut here are "alders" that I think you guys refer to as willow. They grow in clusters of 5 or so to a single "stump".

As to ground contact, it is more forgiving than a chainsaw, within reason. You bang it into a rock, wide open, and there will be issues! However because the blade does not have a real wide cutting edge (kerf) on the tooth like a chain it doesnt get damaged as bad or as easy. Laying it down flat on the ground (like when you cut through the tree and the tree pins it to the ground) wont generally cause issues.

It really is the best tool for clearing ground, way easier on the back and safer too. Plus with a tri-blade it becomes a great brush cutter to keep the area under control once the heavy stuff is gone

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343
I have a 252rx.

I can cut 4-5" without issue, but I have more power than what your looking at. The 345 SHOULD be able to handle it, but Id go larger if the budget allows. Generally what I cut here are "alders" that I think you guys refer to as willow. They grow in clusters of 5 or so to a single "stump".

As to ground contact, it is more forgiving than a chainsaw, within reason. You bang it into a rock, wide open, and there will be issues! However because the blade does not have a real wide cutting edge (kerf) on the tooth like a chain it doesnt get damaged as bad or as easy. Laying it down flat on the ground (like when you cut through the tree and the tree pins it to the ground) wont generally cause issues.

It really is the best tool for clearing ground, way easier on the back and safer too. Plus with a tri-blade it becomes a great brush cutter to keep the area under control once the heavy stuff is gone

I'll consider more power, as you suggest -- but I don't see anything bigger from Husqvarna. Model 345FR is it, according to their on-line product listing. Still makes a 56 cc unit that lists for $1300.

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #5  
I'll consider more power, as you suggest -- but I don't see anything bigger from Husqvarna. Model 345FR is it, according to their on-line product listing. Still makes a 56 cc unit that lists for $1300.

You have to go to the Pro Forestry line to see them. The 345 would be considered more a commercial brush saw or light spacing saw rather than a "true" spacing (clearance) saw as used by foresters such as the 545Fx and 555Fx. There are several differences between the 345 and the 545fx, horsepower and RPM's for example.
Forestry Clearing Saws for Professionals | Husqvarna Canada

Forestry Clearing Saws for Professionals | Husqvarna Canada

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #6  

I think Stihl has replaced the FS550 with the FS560. It is a monster and has plenty of power. I can do 4-5 inches with the FS450 that I have just fine.

I think Stihl has replaced the FS550 with the FS560. It is a monster and has plenty of power. I can do 4-5 inches with the FS450 that I have just fine.

Thanks! Your FS450 is now a FS460 with 45.6 cc displacement. (The larger FS560 has 57.1 cc.) Husqvarna has similar models -- 345FR @ 45.7 cc and 555FR @ 53.3 cc. I need to visit my stihl dealer before final decision, but the husqvarna guy led me to believe the 345FR model would suit my needs just fine (occasional heavy cutting of dense, 3-4" diameter green willows). FYI - the Stihl list price is 50% more expensive than the alternative (Husky). Perhaps this premium is justified -- I have two Stihl chainsaws that are 100% dependable.

/ Stihl 460 Brush Cutter vs Husqvarna 345 or 343 #8  
The 345 would likely do you for your occasional use. It is different from the pure spacing 545 fx and I figured I should point that out. It comes down to increased HP, considerably faster blade speed, better angle on the head for cutting trees (flatter) on the 545. The shaft may be stronger (and shorter) on the 545 relative to the 345, it usually is shorter and fatter on the spacing saws relative to the brush saw or a trimmer. It helps in tight places and resists bending.

I have both Husky and Stihl. Both are good.

Husqvarna 343FR

This one looks like a twin to the 345FR Model -- but perhaps marketed to farmers and ranchers. Anyone familiar with this one and what differentiates it? The Husky Dealer didn't have any info on the 343FR

I ordered the 345 Husqvarna model yesterday. Was told it will be here is less than one week.