Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread)

/ Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread) #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
I bought a stihl km90 back in May. I bought the 6 pack of HP Ultra with it for the warranty. I still had some Echo Powerblend oil and the dealer told me it would be fine to use as it is a quality oil. I went through about 3 gallons of that and the Stihl worked beautifully... started first pull everytime and ran great. Once I ran out, I started using the Stihl oil and have noticed harder start, sometimes 4 or 5 pulls. Once running it still runs great, it's just that it is harder to start. I don't know if it is a coincidence since the trimmer has gotten a little older, but I doubt it. I have since ran about 2 gallons with the Stihl oil and it hasn't changed. I don't doubt that the Stihl oil is excellent, but was wondering if anyone has had any similar experience?

/ Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread) #2  
I only have ran the HP ultra in my leaf blower. It starts on the first pull no prime the majority of the time. If it does not start on the first it starts on the second. I really like the HP ultra oil. I wonder if colder weather may be some of your problem? I also run it in my chains saws and trimmer.

/ Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread)
Definitely not the colder weather, actually just the opposite. I first switched about 3 weeks ago during a hot spell of about 95. I had also been running it pretty hard that day. It was strange, the very first time I filled it with the hp, it was harder to start and hasn't been the same since. Although I used it today (after the original post) and it was a little better. Is it possible that it was the heat?

I will say that I think my 015L seems to run a little better with it and I have no doubt it's good oil. I will take a couple extra pulls if it still gives me better protection. I have not tried it in my 361 yet.

/ Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread) #5  
I don't why it would be starting harder. 4 or 5 pulls still is not that bad. Are you mixing it at the pump so you know you are getting the right amount of gas mixed in?

No, not complaining about 4 or 5 pulls it just seems odd. I measure gas out of 5 gallon can with a measuring cup. Same gas I always use, it was less than a week from the station.

Duplicate

/ Stihl HP ultra oil? (yeah another thread) #8  
When I bought my BR600, I went with the Ultra mixed with 89 octane. Once the regular Stihl oil I had on hand was used up, I started using Ultr/89 on my Stihl chainsaw, weed whacker and my hedge trimmer.

The BR600 starts the first pull, the FS200 trimmer takes maybe one or two. The chainsaw and the hedge trimmer take a couple more but then they always did before. They all seem to run smoother maybe simply due to the higher octane fuel.

I guess I'll give an update here. As I have been using the hp ultra more now, it seems maybe I was too quick with my assessment. Everything has been running fine with it. My 015 may be idling a little better, but I can't say for sure. Other than that, I can't really claim any improvements to any of the equipment, but not anything bad either.

I had been running the weedwacker pretty hard for quite some time that day, and I have heard people comment about these little engines being a little harder to start when hot, I had just never experienced it before. It must have just been bad timing to try a different mix.