Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy???

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #1  

kw22614

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
My older Ryobe and Craftsman hand-held gas leaf blowers died within hours of eachother (of coarse right as I'm starting to get the leaves up), have been nursing them both for a long time and I just want to get a new one. My back's not the greatest anymore so I want a hand-held gas powered (not backpack) - one not too expensive. I have looked at HD and Lowes and they have a Hitachi with great reviews that's priced $20 different for the same machine, Lowes is cheaper. It's the Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2 Stroke 170 MPH Gas Powered Handheld Blower (CARB Compliant). I also see Tanaka has essentially the same model for about $20 more but they're out of stock. I'm looking in the $100 - $150 range. I have 2 acres flat property with some oak trees (LOTS of leaves) and about 120' of front culvert ditch, and my house gutters to blow leaves from. I don't use a blower regularly but I use it hard when I need it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these blowers or maybe some advice on others (good, reliable, easy start, strong, balanced, light weight) in my price range. Suggestions/recommendations wanted - I need to hurry and finish at least the front yard before T-day - wifey says! Thanks, KW

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy???
It's disheartening to believe that no one has a suggestion/opinion to share...

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #3  
Well Hello. I don't have a gas blower. I have had two echos and never a problem. I've had an electric Toro that produced over 200 mph air flow and I've never saw a gas model to match. It also has a bag suction feature if you want to bag or compost your leaves. Cost me about $85.00. Love it.

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #4  
Check out Big Sky Tools. They are a seller of reconditioned Hitachi and others Tanaka also . Do not have any experience with their gas tools but excellent results with electric tools

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy???
Thanks guys, you renewed my faith in TBN!
I have 2 acres fenced in which equates to near 2000' of fence to blow. Corded electric is just too much trouble and cordless just doesn't offer the time I need between recharging. Thanks for the Big Sky Tools suggestion, Kenny - they look much more affordable than where I've been looking, plus FREE shipping and great reviews.

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #6  
I don't have a gas blower either, but if I was to buy one, Echo would be my first choice. Home Depot has Echo, but I also have a dealer that sells Echo and Stihl, and the exact same things at Home Depot are cheaper at the dealer. He also has all the parts I need and he does repairs.

Eddie

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #7  
For your price range I would say echo, but then for a little more you can get a stihl.

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #8  
This year I broke down and bought a back pack blower since I also have a heck of a lot of leaves to blow. My shoulders were starting to feel the pain of a hand held blower after about 30 minutes. I should have bought one years ago because now I can blow leaves for hours without any physical strain. I bought the $249 Echo from Home Depot. I was concerned the 158 mph spec might be a little slow but it's more than capable as it turns out. It is also a lot quieter than my old hand held Echo was. It is also very lightweight. If you spend the extra money for a back pack model, you'll be glad you did.

ECHO 158 mph 375 CFM Gas Blower-PB-265LN at The Home Depot

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #9  
I do not know why anyone would prefer a hand held over a back pack blower :confused:

I have had a Stihl backpack for about 15 years, and I appreciate it more each year

I blow about an acre and a half of yard and woods around the house, usually about 18-24 hours a year during leave season
Oaks, Sugar Maples, Hickories, Walnuts and probably 3-4 more species in lessor quantities.

My only complaint is the torque throw on my right arm, I wish there was a way to switch arms.
Builds up my right bicep every year

/ Looking for new handheld gas leaf blower - What to buy??? #10  
This year I broke down and bought a back pack blower since I also have a heck of a lot of leaves to blow. My shoulders were starting to feel the pain of a hand held blower after about 30 minutes. I should have bought one years ago because now I can blow leaves for hours without any physical strain. I bought the $249 Echo from Home Depot. I was concerned the 158 mph spec might be a little slow but it's more than capable as it turns out. It is also a lot quieter than my old hand held Echo was. It is also very lightweight. If you spend the extra money for a back pack model, you'll be glad you did.

ECHO 158 mph 375 CFM Gas Blower-PB-265LN at The Home Depot
I have never had a backpack blower but I can see how they would be less strain on the back than a hand held one which you have to hold offhand away from your body. I have a Poulan hand held which was less than $100 and does a good job, but after a few minutes it starts to put a strain on my back and hands (both of them because I have to switch hands frequently due to the stress). It converts to a vacuum also which might be nice for stray leaves that I cant get to with my lawn sweeper. Will have to try it out some day.