Stihl FS 90 over FS 80

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #1  

Mattc8832

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3032e,Snapper Pro SW20 and s200, Stihl Handhelds, BCS 830, Yamaha Rhino 700, 2 - Gravely 5260, New Holland LS 45 , 6,10 by 14 Trailer , Woods BH 6000 Towable Backhoe, Honda 21 Self Propelled, Exmark Commercial 21and shop full of tools
I purchased a new FS 90 last year. It was a great purchase. I had a FS 80 Stihl since 2004 and still have it. It runs excellent and is in good shape. I definitely prefer the FS 90 over the 80 for power reasons. When I first purchased the FS 90 I didn't like it as well as the 80 but over time it grew on me. I believe that the weight of these 2 machines are pretty much the same, my wife says both of them are too heavy for her - she wants a curve shaft FS homeowner model.

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #2  
I am guessing the new fs90 is 4mix, and the 80 a regular 2 stroke?

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #3  
What is 4mix? I have a FS81 for thirty years or so. It runs great with routine maintenance. But I've been looking at the FS90.

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #4  
4mix is what stihl uses on all their trimmers now (pro grade anyway, not sure about homeowner). Basically it's a four stroke engine that uses mixed gas. You get the torque of a four stroke with the light-weight and sump-less lubrication of a 2 stroke. If you don't like mixing gas then there's no advantage.

I have a km90 with trimmer, brushcutter, and tiller attachment and I love it. I just bought it earlier this year so I can't speak for longevity, but the landscapers seem to like them.

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #5  
The chisel tooth blade on our fs 90 has been great for brambles, saplings & bamboo. It stays mounted more than the string head...

Nick

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #6  
Thanks....mike. If this FS81 ever wears out, I'm looking into the 90. Whatever......they sure beat that scythe that I used to toil with....still have it nice and sharp, stored away.

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80
I wonder how good the wieght to power ratio is on a FS 110?

/ Stihl FS 90 over FS 80 #8  
You will like the 110. If your wife wants a weedeater, by all means get her one. Get her a Worx electric model. Runs a long time and starts by pulling the trigger. Easy to load line. Nothing to hassle with or crab about. The quiet whir of her weedeating in the afternoon will not bother your nap.