Tractor
    Yanmar F14D, DR Wheeled Trimmer

Default DR Wheeled Trimmer Overhaul Help

When we bought our house the previous owner left a DR wheeled trimmer behind. He thought it was broken as the engine wouldn't start, but it turns out it was just overfilled with oil which flooded the cylinder. Bonus for me, a fully functioning DR for free!

Anyway, I've used it for a year or so, but it doesn't seem to have enough power and the engine labours. On closer inspection, the trimmer head seems stiff to turn and is noisy, with the belt disengaged, so I'm thinking the bearings might be shot. Does anyone know the method for disassembling the head and replacing the bearings? These machines are not common in the UK so I'm hoping the bearings will be a standard type I can order on line.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: DR Wheeled Trimmer Overhaul Help

The manual is available for free at: Trimmer Mower Product Support | DR Power Equipment if you can figure out its age/model.
    A video of changing the belt which should get you most of the way to the bearings:

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor

Thanks Aaron, very useful. I got the bearing unit off after watching that video. My model isn't exactly the same as that, but it got me there. The bearings are definitely finished, the pulley is quite stiff to turn and there is evidence that water and debris have got into the bearings.

I'm not sure yet, how the bearings come out. Are they pressed in? I can't find my puller to remove the pulley from the shaft either so further investigation will have to wait until I get a new one.

This is the trimmer, not sure of the model, but it has a Kawasaki 5hp engine:

And here's the crusty bearing unit that I need to figure out how refurb:

Tractor

Borrowed a gear puller and got it all apart. Bearings were dead. They were the shielded type, not sealed so the damp had got to them. The lower one was seized solid and the outer race had been spinning in the housing.

Anyway, measured up the old bearings, got some quality sealed replacements for less than 10, so hopefully they'll last longer. Trimmer runs like a champ now, much more powerful.

It's frustrating that the U.S. DR website has part diagrams and allows you to order any parts you need, but the UK one just says to refer to your authorised repairer in the event of a problem. Clearly us Brits can't be trusted to fix our own stuff!