Garden tiller

/ Garden tiller #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
The Husqvarna front tine tiller bit the dust last week, and I'm needing a replacement Any ideas? Definitely not wanting another Husqvarna but something more commercial in quality. I'm thinking either Merry or Maxim. Does anybody have any experience with these?

/ Garden tiller #2  
I've heard of Merry/MacKissic stuff. Generally a good reputation. Never heard of Maxim, but it looks like it could be good U.S. - made.

/ Garden tiller #3  
You may wish to enter the specific FORUMS, scroll down to RELATED EQUIPMENT, there you will find a dedicated forum to TWO WHEELED TRACTORS, which has 7,000 threads.

BCS and Grillo are the gear-drive, commercial grade tillers: Google: BCS Vs. Grillo

Grillos are imported through Earth Tools in Kentucky: Earth Tools

If price is an important consideration I would search for an old Gravely.

Last edited:
   / Garden tiller #4  
I have a G85 Grillo with 8hp diesel engine. Love it, lifetime tool.

/ Garden tiller #5  
There are different grades of commercial, when I was a youngster (a long time ago) my father was a commercial horticulturalist and used several Honda made machines. They are made to fit most gardens and budgets. I recentlt bought one myself for home use and the experience is very satisfying. The larger machines (petrol/gasoline) will compete with and out perform just about anything else and retain that quiet reliablility. If you're hanging onto it hour after hour each day that quieter smoother running counts for a lot over the years, I had a lot of experience with other brands back in the day, the merry tiller is crude by comparison in my opinion.

/ Garden tiller #6  
I have a Troy Bilt 8 hp Horse. So far its lasted 34+ years and only needed a new set of tines and one set of drive belts. Used it to open a new garden site and till this site every year. My garden is 100' X 150'.