Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Default What type of grease for angle gear on string trimmer/brushcutter?

Does anyone know what is an acceptable grease for the angle gear on the end of the shaft on string trimmers? They tend to say in the manuals to use the manufacturer's brand of "special" grease, but in reality, I have about four different types of grease on hand for greasing my trucks and tractor. I have "wheel bearing/chassis grease" which is honey-colored, moly grease which is black, and red grease. Also, white lithium grease.

Seems like at least one of these should be acceptable, as it only takes a tiny bit. Any thoughts?
    -Jim

Tractor
    Kubota M 6800; Kubota B 2710; Gator; Bushhog ZTR; Volvo Mini Excavator EC45, Ferris ZTR and John Deere 5525 tractor

Default Re: What type of grease for angle gear on string trimmer/brushcutter?

I use high temp for such. Normally red in color.
    Jeremiah 2:11a "Has a nation changed its gods, Which are not gods?

Gold Member
    Tractor

It is so easy to use the manufacturer's grease as the threads of the tube match the threads of the fitting and the grease should be "packed" in pretty tight which is easy with the tube. Not worth the trouble to do otherwise for me and I know it is the correct type for the application. Now if it was a zerk fitting on the brushcutter my answer would be different.
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one will ever even know.

Trovenn Forestry Services

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Farmall C, JD 260 Lawn tractor

I'd use a semi-fluid grease in the NLGI 00 range. Also known by some as "corn head grease." If you use a NLGI 1 or 2 grease such is common in grease guns for chassis use, it will squeeze out from the gear teeth and remain in the recesses of the gearbox providing no lubrication. A semi-fluid grease will stay churning around the gears as they turn providing constant lubrication yet is thick enough to resist leaking out around the shaft seals, etc..

Platinum Member

White lithium, non water absorbing, (can't think of the correct technical term :-) ). least ways that's what my Echo calls for.........mike

Gold Member
    Tractor
    currently l4400 stick

I just use what ever grease is handy,usually not the HD stuff. I change it out often simply because the assembly takes a bit of abuse. I have two of them, one a Stihl and the other a Shindawa. I figure checking them out and cleaning 100 percent is better than any other maintenance I do on them. I usually get about seven to ten years out of one of the better machines. The carburetors are the things that fail me first.
    4400GST SSQA bucket,
    Landpride forks,
    Bobcat manure forks
    five ft Old rotary mower
    Post hole auger
    Leon rear blade
    landscape rake
    carryall
    Lx178 LX172 Deeres
    Husky 372s 394
    little Stihls
    haywagons
    big horses
    sheep
    Loadstar FBD
    Woodmaxx hydraulic chipper

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

Quote Originally Posted by Silvic View Post
    It is so easy to use the manufacturer's grease as the threads of the tube match the threads of the fitting and the grease should be "packed" in pretty tight which is easy with the tube. Not worth the trouble to do otherwise for me and I know it is the correct type for the application. Now if it was a zerk fitting on the brushcutter my answer would be different.
    I agree with this. A tube will last years, and it's so easy and clean to screw the tube right onto the trimmer.

Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

I also use a tube of Stihl grease. Bought a tube 4-5 years ago for $8 and still have half left.

Will

Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

I use a tube of Stihl grease as well. I bought it 5 years ago and still have a half a tube.

Will

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
    I'd use a semi-fluid grease in the NLGI 00 range. Also known by some as "corn head grease." If you use a NLGI 1 or 2 grease such is common in grease guns for chassis use, it will squeeze out from the gear teeth and remain in the recesses of the gearbox providing no lubrication. A semi-fluid grease will stay churning around the gears as they turn providing constant lubrication yet is thick enough to resist leaking out around the shaft seals, etc..
    I called my local small engine repair shop (and Jonsered dealer) and he also said to use "00" grease.
    -Jim