ECHO String Trimmer Questions

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey once again,

I bought a brand new 21.2cc ECHO SRM210 string trimmer last year at Home Depot. The serial # is: 05118757. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have used it residentially AND commercially. DEFINITELY more commercial than residential (surrounding houses in my town). It has probably got around 75hrs on it. Not one thing has gone wrong. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE IN A HEART BEAT! Very Powerful and Reliable. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I run nothing but the Echo oil in it. I was just wondering:
1. When you re-spool the spool with string, do you put the string in both of the little holes in the spool, or just one of them? I have been putting the string in BOTH holes. I read the owners manual, but it only showed ONE hole in the spool. It DID NOT clearly state. Home Depot told me that one hole is for .095 (which is what I use) string and the other is for.....(I can't remember what size). Is this true, or do I just pick a hole and go with it? Well, I can't do that anymore. One of the holes is tore completely. I can only use one hole. I have used it like this for a long time with no problems. I just want to go on and fix it back to normal. When this hole tears, and it is getting ready too, I won't be able to wind the string on the spool. Home Depot also said that I would have to buy a new replacement head. Is this true? I am in no way calling them liars. I just want other opinions. It don't make any sense to me when all I need is a new spool? I just don't know. Maybe they are just trying to make more money off of me. But then again they may be correct.
2. Where can I buy discounted Echo parts off of the internet? Righ now I need a new Air-filter, Fuel Filter, and Spark Plug. NOT because it is broke, I just keep the maintenance up on all of my equipment.
If I need a new head, where can I get a new one for a reasonable price? I want the same head that came on it. NO special heads or anything. Just the STOCK replacement. I know Home Depot sells the head and tune-up kit, but should I buy from an Echo dealer, or The Depot?
They (Home Depot), said that the heads aren't under warranty because it is a wear and tear part. I understand and respect that, but all I need is the dam spool. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I don't think it was all my fault. The owner's manual didn't at all clearly state what I was looking for.

Sorry so long

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES,
Travis R

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #2  
Travis - I would first try your closest 'real' Echo dealer for parts. I don't have Echo (yet) but in the last 12 months I've bought a couple of pieces of 'decent' grounds care equipment and all of the local small full-time dealers/service center folks I have dealt have been head-and-shoulders above the box store folks for knowledge and helpfulness.

And for what it's worth - I've also noticed that around here anyway these guys tend to sell for just about the same price as the box stores - so if you are in the market for something in the 'pro-sumer' or 'commercial' level from Husky, Stihl, Echo, Toro et al - I would suggest checking out the 'real' dealers first. Rather give them the business anyway.

Tim

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #3  
The complete new head loaded with string is about $20, which I don't consider out of the reasonable price range. You'll get many, many hours out of the original head. I put string in one hole, not both. It takes some experience to know exactly the right length of string to cut off and wrap in the head, but I'm getting there. Of course, I have a 10lb spool of string and am getting pretty fast and putting in new string without tools.

My Echo trimmer is great once we figured out the cause of a Major Problem in keeping the thing running. My two older boys (15 & 13) also use the trimmer for their neighborhood jobs. It sits in two hooks horizontal under the deck. If it is sitting so that the carb is on the down side, the gradual fuel leak out of the tank through the carb will saturate the air filter. The trimmer will start and run but not very well and not at full throttle. The fix is to make sure the carb is on the top side when the trimmer is hanging from the hooks and now everyone is happy again and I can get back to my regular work and stop solving the world's problems.

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #4  
Echo makes a great product glad to hear about your good experience.
I have a SRM 260 as well as a 650 blower. Both purchased from a real power equipment dealer. Extreeeeeemly happy with both. Home depot didn't carry these larger models. but I did compare Home depot's price on the smaller models like yours with the equipment dealers prices. Home depot was at least 30$ higher on each model than the equipment store's full list prices!!!! The dealer also has all the parts in stock and has given me lots of helpful advice. Like how important it is to change the fuel filters on these emissions compliant 2 strokes frequently.

The salesman in the box store told me that they sell enough power equipment to keep 2 part time contractors busy a few days a week doing assembly and repair work. The equipment dealer has 10 full time factory trained mechanics, plus knowledgeable parts people.

I'm not sure what is available for your trimmer but their are 2 or 3 diferent heads available for mine.

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #5  
It takes some experience to know exactly the right length of string to cut off and wrap in the head head, but I'm getting there.
===========================================================
I used to try to measure and cut off the length of string from the roll till I found out that all I had to do was wind the string around the spool until it was full then cut it off and I'm there.

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey once again,

I bought a brand new 21.2cc ECHO SRM210 string trimmer last year at Home Depot. The serial # is: 05118757. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have used it residentially AND commercially. DEFINITELY more commercial than residential (surrounding houses in my town). It has probably got around 75hrs on it. Not one thing has gone wrong. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE IN A HEART BEAT! Very Powerful and Reliable. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I run nothing but the Echo oil in it. I was just wondering:
1. When you re-spool the spool with string, do you put the string in both of the little holes in the spool, or just one of them? I have been putting the string in BOTH holes. I read the owners manual, but it only showed ONE hole in the spool. It DID NOT clearly state. Home Depot told me that one hole is for .095 (which is what I use) string and the other is for.....(I can't remember what size). Is this true, or do I just pick a hole and go with it? Well, I can't do that anymore. One of the holes is tore completely. I can only use one hole. I have used it like this for a long time with no problems. I just want to go on and fix it back to normal. When this hole tears, and it is getting ready too, I won't be able to wind the string on the spool. Home Depot also said that I would have to buy a new replacement head. Is this true? I am in no way calling them liars. I just want other opinions. It don't make any sense to me when all I need is a new spool? I just don't know. Maybe they are just trying to make more money off of me. But then again they may be correct.
2. Where can I buy discounted Echo parts off of the internet? Righ now I need a new Air-filter, Fuel Filter, and Spark Plug. NOT because it is broke, I just keep the maintenance up on all of my equipment.
If I need a new head, where can I get a new one for a reasonable price? I want the same head that came on it. NO special heads or anything. Just the STOCK replacement. I know Home Depot sells the head and tune-up kit, but should I buy from an Echo dealer, or The Depot?
They (Home Depot), said that the heads aren't under warranty because it is a wear and tear part. I understand and respect that, but all I need is the dam spool. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I don't think it was all my fault. The owner's manual didn't at all clearly state what I was looking for.

Sorry so long

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES,
Travis R )</font>

<font color="red"> When this hole tears, and it is getting ready too, I won't be able to wind the string on the spool. Home Depot also said that I would have to buy a new replacement head. Is this true? I am in no way calling them liars. I just want other opinions. It don't make any sense to me when all I need is a new spool?
=========================================================================================================================
I always keep 2 spools on hand so when I run out of string on the one I'm using I just switch spools and keep on trimming.
With 2 spools on hand and wound with string I never have to stop in the middle of a trimming job to wind string.
I only wind string at my convince not in the middle of a trimming job.

Whenever I buy a trimmer I always get a second spool.
Never had to buy a head just to get a spool.

If I ever go to buy a trimmer and can't get an extra spool separately from the head I won't buy the trimmer.

</font>

/ ECHO String Trimmer Questions #7  
<font color="blue"> I always keep 2 spools on hand so when I run out of string on the one I'm using I just switch spools and keep on trimming.
With 2 spools on hand and wound with string I never have to stop in the middle of a trimming job to wind string.
I only wind string at my convince not in the middle of a trimming job.

Whenever I buy a trimmer I always get a second spool.
Never had to buy a head just to get a spool.

If I ever go to buy a trimmer and can't get an extra spool separately from the head I won't buy the trimmer.
</font>
Makes sense. G