how well do trimmer mowers work?

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm tring to maintian my lot, I've cleared the big stuff, and now I'd just like to keep it from getting out of hand. I bush hog the grass (read weeds)about every other week. I was hoping a trimmer mower would speed things up a bit cutting down what I can't get to with the tractor. I have about 50 trees in varing sizes and clumps to weed eat around. I end up with some areas larger than I like to weed eat, a push mower would be better, but the ground is a little to rough for a normal mower. I quess my questions are... how well do the trimmer mowers work? Do you like yours better than your weed eater? Are there any brands to avoid? I've looked at Troy Built, DR and a couple of others on the web.Haven't put my hands on one yet. I know on my weedeater the string is fairly easy to replace, so I'm thinking the ease of string attachment on the mower is an important feature. Are there any string holder better than others? Any help or suggestion before I go shopping../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #2  
shorty, I looked at several other brands before buying my DR 3 years ago. I got what was the biggest top of the line electric start at the time with the 6hp Briggs & Stratton. Pretty easy to change the string, although they have since come out with an even better head for that purpose. In my opinion, the DR (Country Home Products) is overpriced - I would assume because of the extensive advertising that must cost a fortune, but I do believe they have the best product and good service (an 800 number with friendly folks if you ever have questions or need anything). Another reason I bought it was because, at that time at least, they had a 30 day money back guarantee if you didn't like it - didn't have to be any defect. I'm a bit lazy; don't like to use any string trimmer, but since I have to use one a lot, I'd prefer my DR.

It works great on grass and weeds; never lacking for power, but if you start hitting woody type material, tree sprouts or saplings, you'll stay busy changing the string. If you want to cut woody stuff, their "Beaver Blade" will go through saplings up to about 3" or 4" faster than a chain saw, and of course, it'll cut weeds and grass, too. The machine came with .130" line, and a sample of their .150". It's good string, but I like locally bought 4 or 6 sided string better than their round string. I use .130" for heavy duty stuff like Johnson Grass and weeds under pasture fences, but prefer .105" string for lawn grass. You do need a little practice and learn to be careful, reduce RPM at times, etc., or you'll take the bark off all your trees. It'll eat the vinyl skirting off mobile homes with nary a burp./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif And I even cut two TV coax cables once./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #3  
You can't go wrong with the DR Trimmer. It really does a good job. My only request is that they provide a self-propelled version. Much of my use of the machine is on steep slopes with somewhat rough ground. The work would be easier if the machine were self-propelled. On level ground, it is a breeze.

/ how well do trimmer mowers work?
Shorty I have the troy built with the 5hp. I like it alot and it gets tons of use.. But I already have a oil leak and one wheel broke and I already replaced the belt. Gone through some string I like the local 150 i can buy..Not sure on other brands but on this one you can just cut your string to lenght off a spool instead of buying specific string that costs more because they cut it.. The problems Iam encountering Iam not sure if it most of it is my roughness or not.. I would definitely buy another one but maybe try a different brand.. For me.. Seems I paid 300 last year.. I have not used my hand held since I bought this one.. And probally never will..

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #5  
Shorty -

Sounds like my DR Trimmer/Mower is the same model as Bird's. They are pricey, but ask them about refurbs if you want to save some bucks. That's what I got and it came with full warranty, looked like new out of the box and has run like a champ for nearly 3 years now.

I just installed the new head Bird mentioned and it's quite an improvement. The string is much easier to change (I do it with one hand when I'm in the field) and it truly is "anti-wrap". Haven't had a tangle since I put it on. It seems to me that the line gets yanked out now, rather than breaking when you encounter a nasty hidden object, like a piece of rebar stuck in the ground or a heavey branch that wasn't there last summer. At first I didn't like that, but I now realize that the yanked line never travels more than a couple of feet from the mower, and I just put it back in and go around the object. I believe all the new models come with this head now.

The thing is quite maneuverable and can be adjusted "offset" from the wheels when you need to trim along a fence or building. I used the beaver blade the first year I got it, and now there's nothing left that I can't take down with the string. I'm amazed at how much ground I can cover in a short period of time. And now that I have the tractor I only use it around the trees and buildings where the tractor can't reach.

Came out sounding like a commercial, didn't I? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

HarvSig.gif

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be shopping for one real soon.

A friend told me he saw one today while he was at Sams wholesale. It's a Garden Way built by Troy Built and the price was right.(around $260.00). As soon as I get a chance I'm going to take a ride to Sams.

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #7  
Since the DR is $350 - $700 I might take a look at the Sam's version myself. I've had good luck with the cheapo push mowers (I just paid $134 for a 4HP B & S 22" mower), so maybe the string trimmer would be fine IF it has a B & S engine.

Alan L., TX

Alan, I think it was a 5hp Briggs. If I get there before you, I'll post some better specs. on the trimmer.

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #9  
Shorty:
I have a Troybilt WITHOUT offset, and realized I made a mistake the first time I used it. Definitely need the offset feature to get close to fences, buildings, etc. Changing the string on mine requires a half-inch wrench and several minutes. Not a good design.

/ how well do trimmer mowers work? #10  
Ouch, Troybilt usually has some pretty good products, but that doesn't sound good at all. I use my DR tipped to the side more than straight. And no tools to change string.

Bird