Echo String Trimmer for the wife???

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #1  

Bob_Skurka

Does anyone have any information on a lightweight string trimmer that actually has enough POWER to cut tough weeds and is still light enough for a lady?

I have been told the Echo 200i is a good trimmer. It has their new i-Start technology which is supposed to start with 75% less pull strenght than a regular trimmer. Anyone tried this? I was quoted a price of $189.99 + tax.

My wife has a "weed wacker featherlite" and while is it small and light, it bogs down badly with heavy weeds and thick grass making it essentially useless. She will not use my commercial John Deere trimmer because of size, weight and because it is difficult to start.

I've never owned an Echo. Are they good? Any other SMALL - LIGHTWEIGHT - REASONABLY POWERFUL - RELIABLE brands out there?

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #2  
I've never owned an Echo either, but it seems to me that more commercial operators use Echo than anything else that I've seen. So I suspect they're pretty good machines.

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #3  
When I first read the title I was interested in which way you were trying to trade. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife???
$189.99 for the trimmer . . . how much is a wife worth? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Someone is going to get the short end of that trade!

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #5  
The Echo GT-200i is a curved shaft trimmer, spend about $10 bucks more and get the SRM-210i which is a straight shaft model. It is a little heavier, but the difference in operator comfort is sizeable. I have Echo string trimmers, hedge clippers, and chain saws, they are pretty much trouble free.
I suggest taking your wife to your dealer to try the different models to see which one she is most comfortable with.
Wish I could get my wife to trim the lawn.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken, the wife currently uses a curved arm trimmer and really hates my straight shaft unit. The thing that appeals to me with the little Echo is it is their lightest model. The salesman I talked to said this was the most popular model with the ladies! I know from experience, if it is heavy my wife simply won't use it. I'm also afraid that if I show up with a straight shaft that she will equate it to my JD unit and object.

Any idea how much the 210-i model weighs in comparision?

By the way, on a side note, when I got done talking to the local dealer I went onto the internet and found the same unit selling for MORE THAN the MSRP of $189.99. So while the dealer is not offing any discounts, the internet dealers seem to be charging ABOVE retail price.

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #7  
btw, bob, has she tried using a shoulder strap?

<font color="red"> btw, bob, has she tried using a shoulder strap </font>

<font color="black"> Yup. She doesn't like it. With my wife and mechanical things, K.I.S.S. is a mandatory philosophy to keep in mind. She got chased by a bee(?) once while using the trimmer, she ran into the house. I'd hate to see her run in the front door with the trimmer strapped to her shoulder!!! Because that would happen. Mind you I'm not complaining, she does 90% of the trimming, so I want to get her what she wants.

LIGHT WEIGHT
EASY TO START
CURVED SHAFT

Those are at the top of her list. I want realiable because I don't want to mess with it! </font>

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #9  
"Any idea how much the 210-i model weighs in comparision?"

Bob, I believe the 200i weighs 9.6 pounds and the 210i tips the scales at 11.6 pounds. I do agree that the curved shaft model looks smaller (it is) making it more female user friendly.
There is a company out West that I get most of my Echo equipment from, they usually have very good prices. I will look them up and post their contact info for you.

/ Echo String Trimmer for the wife??? #10  
Bob, the company I buy my Echo equipment from is ALAMIA Inc. in Denver, CO. (ALAMIA.com). I checked with them for price and availability, but they do not sell the model you are interested in. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I also noticed that Home Depot lists a couple of Echo curved shaft models priced from $150- $179 but they do not feature i-start technology.
I think that the Echo GT-200i would be the best fit in your case just shop around for the best price and dealer.