Another String Trimmer Question

/ Another String Trimmer Question #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Sometime in the next couple of months, I intend to buy a new string trimmer. And contrary to what we usually look for, I don't need wide swath, lots of power, thick, heavy string, dual strings, etc. In fact, the $50 Black & Decker electric with the single .065 string that I already have does all I need to do as far as trimming and edging. So, what I'm looking for is:

1) Gas powered - don't want to have to mess with moving a long cord around,
2) Straight shaft - I'm tall enough I don't want to work bending over, and I want it to reach under some shrubs,
3) Dependable and durable - for light duty work, but a lot of it,
4) LIGHT WEIGHT - yep, I'm lazy; want the lightest weight I can get.

So far, it appears that the Stihl FS55 may be my best choice (while it ain't necessary, that Easy Start system sounds pretty good to me). The FS55 claims a weight of 10.3 pounds; 10.6 pounds with the Easy Start.

Does anyone know of a comparable quality machine that weighs less?

/ Another String Trimmer Question #2  
Bird,
I know you said gas, but what about one of these:
Black & Decker

I have no knowledge of these. Just wanted to throw it in.

Happy New Year,
Neil.

/ Another String Trimmer Question
Neil, I really hadn't considered the cordless electric because I doubted that it would run long enough on a charge. I see their website says 2 18-volt battery packs provide "Plenty of Run time per charge". I guess I need to check that out to see how much time they call "Plenty". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have some little B&D cordless shears, but you have to plug the tool itself in to charge it. If the string trimmer comes with 2 battery packs and you can quickly change them out and they don't take too long to recharge; just might be the right idea. I appreciate your response.

Oops, on another website, I found </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Two 18-volt NiCad battery packs provide plenty of run-time per charge (about 15-20 minutes run time per battery) )</font> That wouldn't be long enough it that's right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Another String Trimmer Question #4  
here is what my guru {pro garden shop} advised me. I just bought dad a power pruner for Christmas. Echo is the best bang for the buck. in trimmers easyest, and cheapest to fix. fewer brake downs. Chainsaws Sthil, Husky, its a pick um the new 4Mix engine is un proven still have to mix oil in gas the owner and mechanic agree on Echo trimmers and they sell all the brands in twenty years of buying equipment from them they haven't steered me wrong yet

good luck WW

ps bought a echo power pruner ppt-261 for dad

Thanks, WW. In fact, I visited two dealers this afternoon. One dealer (the one I bought my Toro ZTR from) sells the Stihl and the other dealer (whom I've used for service on a LawnBoy) sells both the Echo and the Stihl. The lightest weight straight shaft Echo does weigh just a little more than the comparable Stihl. Fortunately, I like both of the dealers so that isn't a problem. I just wish Stihl or Echo made a lighter duty, lighter weight, and cheaper machine for my use.

/ Another String Trimmer Question #7  
just a word on the fs55 you mentioned - when i was looking for one (little while ago, may have changed) i noticed the fs55 has no anti vibe system, when i tried it out i got numb hands quite fast
also im not sure if it has electronic ignition. i also paid the extra for the easy start, its pretty neat
also the elasto start is pretty good
i ended up with the fs85, mainly because iyt has anti vibration

also forgot to add, as has been said, echo has the best bang for the buck, they too have some really neat innovations

/ Another String Trimmer Question #8  
I have the same Echo trimmer Mike has and I have been very pleased with it. It is really lightweight and balanced very well. I can lay the shaft across my shoulder and walk through the yard without it falling off. It is light enough that it can be used one handed if need be for a short period of time. I've had it for about 3 years and the only thing I have done to it is put fuel in it. I keep meaning to winterize it but forget and then spring is here. It always starts on the first or second pull. I couldn't ask for anything more except for the handle setup for the non-throttle hand. The plastic in mine has broken out and I'm going to have to replace the handle this spring.

/ Another String Trimmer Question #9  
yea like mith said no anti-vibe stuff on that model(55) AV is not an option till the fs75 and on up the line.. i have a stihl fs 80r trimmer and i have all stihl chain saws so its simple to mix one can of fuel and use all. i got an echo srm 2500 or something,it's a very fine working machine also.
might want to check out those shindiawa,i have looked over the saws and trimmers they make, and they are made VERY NICE. i see alot of lawn care company's using them. you cant go wrong with the stihl or echo.. check ebay,you might find what you are looking for cheap...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i got numb hands quite fast )</font>

Thanks for the information, Mith. When I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands a few years ago, the doctor told me I should try to avoid tools with vibration as much as possible, like chain saws and weedeaters. That's when I sold the big Stihl I had at the time and bought a DR trimmer/mower on wheels.