New trimmer review, Stihl FS250

/ New trimmer review, Stihl FS250 #1  

HuckBB62

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar F18D
Man, the thing's a beast. It's heavy but well balanced and with the double shoulder harness, it's just fine. I put the Echo quick change cutter head on it with three strings of .155" Echo X-fire string. WOW! My old Craftsman trimmer wouldn't even swing a double string .080" The easy start on the Stihl is pretty darned neat. It's very expensive and not for everyone but I've got so much to cut, I needed a beast.

/ New trimmer review, Stihl FS250 #2  
I just got the FS55 and for my light duty work, it's got more power than I need. I seldom run it up to full throttle. And I agree, that easy start system is nice.

/ New trimmer review, Stihl FS250 #3  
Huck,

That is a very nice trimmer. I have had three of them and they do great. The only thing I do not like is that the engine is a bit heavy and makes the trimmer a bit tippy if one gets the standard handle. The "bicycle" handle fixes the problem. I really feel Stihl intended the FS250 to be strictly a brushcutter style, but for the lawn guys they adapted one in standard format. Enjoy and be sure not to fling too many rocks, they appear good at that. My shins are a walking testament.

John M

/ New trimmer review, Stihl FS250 #4  
I'm sold on the the bicycle too...

The Stihl dealer told be almsot everyone was buying the D handle for easier trimming around buildings and things, as opposed to the "swinging motion" for brush cutting. I'll concede it's a bit of a learning curve when using it against straight walls instead of open areas, but I don't see the problem [I put the work in the step instead of the shoulders], .

Try to tell my wife that though.. she likes the Craftsman, and as I said on another thread, if she's doing the work, I don't care if the Stihl gets lonely. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif