Trimmer built for women

/ Trimmer built for women
The winner is:

Stihl FS55RC.

light, easy spring assisted starting (granny start system), bump line feed, straight shaft.

In fact I like it so much, I just might tell her to say in the cabin and enjoy a good book. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like it so much, I just might tell her to say in the cabin and enjoy a good book )</font>

Don, I certainly like mine, but I'm not sure I like it that much. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Trimmer built for women
Bird, I guess you have to have had a old, heavy, non-bump, hard to start, craftsman before to really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #24  
Don, I think you'll like the little Stihl. When I was shopping, I bought a very similar Echo with the easy pulll starter system, largely because of the location of the shop where it was available (1/2 way between work and home). I liked the Stihl's also, but the shop that sells them is about 2 miles the wrong direction so when I decided the lovely Mrs_Bob needed an upgrade, I opted for convenience. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trimmer built for women #25  
Bob, I had two convenient dealers. One sells both the Stihl and Echo (about the same price), and I think it's a good dealership. I had them do some service work a couple of years ago on my daughter's Lawnboy. The other dealer only sells Stihl, but he's also the one I bought my Toro ZTR from, so I went with him on the string trimmer. I think quality wise, the Stihl and Echo are too close to differentiate, but it seems there are more Stihl dealers than Echo dealers in my area.

/ Trimmer built for women #26  
Bird, in my case the same family owns both stores, but one store is small and sells Echo plus does a lot of lawnmower/small engine repair and the other store is much larger sells Echo + Stihl plus ATVs, lawn mowers, ZTRs, etc. Some of the big box stores also sell some Stihl and/or Echo. I chose to simply buy from a family owned store.

/ Trimmer built for women #27  
<font color="red">
Trimmer built for women - are these things a different shape or what? </font>

Nope, bascially they are just the small lightweight trimmers that are easy to start. They are not specifically designed for women. When I was looking (last summer) I found several models that would just as easily been described as trimmers build for small yards.

Echo & Stihl both make a pull start system that has a wind up spring/clutch system. It takes very little pulling power to wind up the spring, usually on the second pull the clutch engages and the spring actually spins the engine for start up. So no brute force is needed. They each make a couple models that are very light, 6 to 7#, with relatively short shafts.

The Featherweight (I forget who makes it but there is one hanging in my garage) is just what it sounds like, with fuel it is about 6 pounds. It doesn't have the easy start of the little Echo or Stihl units but my wife won't use the Echo I bought for her, she keeps going back to the Featherweight. I think the Echo's grey industrial paint and industrial looking switch are not as visually friendly as the shiny green plastic and pretty "feather" graphics with its easy to figure out red off switch.

/ Trimmer built for women #28  
The WORX is battery operated and it is awesome, its light weight, quiet and you just push a button. I use it for the small areas in the yard. I still have my regular weed wacker (well it died this year) with my attachments, edger, etc for the heavy duty stuff. But I love my WORX.

/ Trimmer built for women #29  
Just wanted to toss in some feedback, on the B&D 18v trimmers. I sold them at a hardware store, for over 2 years recently (not my store, just used to work there, in between electronics jobs).

For light to medium trimming, a lot of customers really liked them, once they learned the best way to deal with batteries. The basic black slide on charger is a manual type, no more than 8 hours for a charge - then disconnect it. A lamp timer works for well for this issue.

B&D has a full-auto 1 hour charger for these 18v batteries - this one you can leave these NiCd batteries on forever, as it automatically downshifts into a proper trickle charge, once the main charge is done. All NiCd batteries will self-discharge, for the customers that were irked by this, I always recommended leaving a battery in the auto-charger - the battery was always safe, and ready to go once the in-use one was down.

For heavy use, you need an industrial grade gas trimmer - I have a Stihl for my acreage. But, many folks are maintaining yards on rural properties that would put a few golf courses to shame - they rarely are doing the bush bashing type work that needs a heavy trimmer. Many folks came in, fed up fighting with gas trimmers (even brand new ones), and had 2-3 acres properties they wanted to trim. I sold many of these people a drill kit, in addition to the trimmer - just to get them a good package price on 2 extra batteries, and the one-hour auto charger - NOBODY ever came back complaining about lack of runtime - with 3 batteries and the auto-charger, that was plenty of trim time.

For light/med trimming, it is a good design, light weight, simple to use, charge the battery and you're good to go. In Canada, they have a 2 year warranty - some people would be back after 5-6 years to replace one they had worn out - parts are orderable, but often cheaper to buy a new unit on clearance.

No bump, the auto feed sytem is a good design. Long term, the only issues that sometimes come up are with the nylon toggle that controls the auto-feed: If it is reluctant to feed, just give the housing a good cleaning, as the toggle needs to be really free to move. After a lot of use, the numb on the end of the toggle may wear down enough that it is auto-feeding too much - a new toggle was something like $3, you just pop it out with a screwdriver to replace.

Even elderly ladies really liked the weight and balance of the 18v trimmer.

Good luck, on optimizing your seat time ! :thumbsup: Rgds, D.