Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
I've been looking at backpack blowers and will likely choose between a Stihl and a Husky. I don't have the model #'s, but I think the Stihl is a 600 series and the Husky is the one that has the engine enclosed in a shell ytpe case to reduce noise. In any event, all of my 2 cycle stuff is Stihl. I've had moderate success with my string trimmer and stick edger, though neither has been problem free (carburator problems). However, my dealer is fantastic. The local Husky dealer was very friendly and willing to spend time with me going over the various models. However, I've never done business with him and have no experience with the Husky brand.

Anyone care to share advice on this decision?

Thanks.

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #2  
bmac, I have been in the lawn maintenance business for about 5 years now, and when I started around here you had two choices, STHIL and ECHO. I picked ECHO and have been using them ever since with no complaints. Nowadays there are so many to choose from it's hard to decide. I can't speak on Husky except in the chainsaw area. I would have to say I think you should go with whichever you think you can get the best "service" from. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck!

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #3  
If you've got a good relationship started with a dealer keep it and stay with the product he has, if you're doing lawn maintenance commercially you will thank yourself ten times over in the years to come.
With that being said I have heard good and bad about Stihl backpack blowers, kinda like Ford vs. Chevy and who you talk to. Myself I use a Stihl blower in my biz for the reason above, I have a good relationship with the local Stihl dealer(s) and am gonna keep it that way.
But if you want something other than Stihl I haven't heard anything good about Husky blowers, that being said I haven't heard anything bad, simply put commercial guys just aren't using Husky's all that often. Most are using either Echo, Redmax or Stihl. I have used lots of Stihl equipment and it's all been good stuff, Echo makes one **** of a weedeater and their blowers are also top notch (chainsaws I've never used but I'd stick with a Stihl or Husky on a saw). Redmax I have heard nothing bad about their trimmers, edgers or blowers, they are probably the best commercial equipment out there right now, but again with their chainsaws I'd stick with a Stihl or Husky!

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #4  
if you've been having carb problems with the newer Stihl stuff try running the synthetic 50:1 Mix. All the emmisionizing is causing buildup in the carbs, this new synthetic "high performance" oil mix takes care of this problem.

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #5  
Going on 5 years w/ECHO back pack and not one problem,also very comfortable on the back...yes I would purchase another.

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I think the Husky dealer also carries Echo. For whatever reason (? profit margin) he steered us toward the Husky line.

Messick, thanks for the synthetic oil tip. I'll look into that. As I think about it, I could be suffering from a stale fuel problem. A gallon of 2-cycle fuel lasts me a long time and I've never (until recently) thought about using a stabilizer. Maybe I should do that as well.

Again, thanks for you help.

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #7  
I also owned a landscape maintenance business (14 years). I tried various brands over the years but settled for the Stihl line. Owned 3 straight shaft string trimmers, 3 Back pack blowers, 1 Hand held, 2 Chainsaws, 2 hedge trimmers, etc. Numerous operators treated the equipment rough at times and it seemed to hold up. One thing I did learn from a dealer the new Stihl's are VERY picky on the 50:1 ratio. Someone got laxed on filling the mixing the tank one day and the new Stihls exhaust screens clogged up in no time.

Enjoy your day! :)

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower #8  
compare the blower by their CFM's. I think thats how they are rated, stihl puts out alot of air. see if you can get the stats on the wind generated. check out redmax as well

/ Stihl vs Husky Backpack Blower
Thanks, again folks for your help. I ended up surprising myself and bought the Husky. The backpack design is very comfortable and the engine enclosure makes for rather quiet operation. Has a 2 year warranty (not sure about the Stihl) and a friend of mine who is in the landscape business has had good service from this dealer.

I gave it a test run yesterday. Seems to blow ok, though I expected more "hurricane-force" winds coming from it. Husky makes one unit that has a higher rated air speed and cfm rating than the one I bought and for a while was wondering if I should have bought that one (or the Stihl). But, after I used it a little longer, I decided that I could accept the lower power rating for the comfort and reduced noise output. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a lower rated machine.