IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer?

/ IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer? #1  

zuren1cs

I just bought my first house that has 2.2 acres to maintain. With the home purchase, I negotiated in a lawn tractor and string trimmer. The tractor is fairly new and I have all of the paperwork, but I have nothing and know nothing about the IDC trimmer. It needs some work to get it operational again (new string/head for one) but I haven't tried to start it to see if it runs. I'm looking for any info anyone can offer:

- Was IDC their own company that no longer exists, or is it a brand made by a parent company? (e.g. MTD)
- Was this/is this a high-end trimmer?
- How many CCs is this thing?
- When was the 580 Supreme introduced? (appears to be older; late 80s/early 90s maybe)
- Will be using it for simple grass trimming, as well as tougher prairie-type grass - are there recommended aftermarket cutting heads available? (Grass Gator for example)
- Is there a good online source for parts and info I'm not finding?

I'd just like to know what this thing is so I know if it's worth putting money into fixing it, or just see how long it lasts as-is then get a new Stihl or similar.

Thanks!

/ IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer? #2  
IDC was their own company, then they were bought out by RYAN, which used the same reed style intake, and under cylinder design.

Then RYAN was purchased by Ryobi, which modernized the design, but kept the general Idea.

Honestly, they arent worth the time of day if they dont crank right up.

Ive had numerous RYANS, and a fee IDC's, and more RYOBI's than I care to remember...

When they run, they work well, but the Fuel line tends to fail often, and they flood easily too.

580 Supreme, Id say is 28cc-32cc, give or take.

IVe only seen 1 IDC style trimmer that actually cranked right up, and ran perfectly. . . MAy never see another one ever again.

/ IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer? #3  
That has to be an oldie, if it was even before Ryan. My first gas trimmer was a 1985 Ryan, and the engine was OK but I recall I trashed it when the end of the flexible drive which was square wore the hole in the power head round and would no longer drive it. Trimmer design has changed quite a bit since then, they are much better in general as far as design and ease of use today, and it is doubtful that there are too many really good old trimmers out there worhy of restoring or refurbishing. I'm almost thinking of getting rid of my electric trimmers for a new 4 stroke trimmer, but am waiting for a good one to go on sale this fall.

-Fordlords-

/ IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer?
MT372HERE said:
IDC was their own company, then they were bought out by RYAN, which used the same reed style intake, and under cylinder design.

Then RYAN was purchased by Ryobi, which modernized the design, but kept the general Idea.

Honestly, they arent worth the time of day if they dont crank right up.

Ive had numerous RYANS, and a fee IDC's, and more RYOBI's than I care to remember...

When they run, they work well, but the Fuel line tends to fail often, and they flood easily too.

580 Supreme, Id say is 28cc-32cc, give or take.

IVe only seen 1 IDC style trimmer that actually cranked right up, and ran perfectly. . . MAy never see another one ever again.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I need to get some gas into it and see if it runs before I even bother buying new string for it. Based on other things I've found around the house and the lack of preventative maintenance that the previous owner employed, I'm not hopeful. We shall see!

Thanks again!

/ IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer? #5  
Fordlords said:
That has to be an oldie, if it was even before Ryan. My first gas trimmer was a 1985 Ryan, and the engine was OK but I recall I trashed it when the end of the flexible drive which was square wore the hole in the power head round and would no longer drive it. Trimmer design has changed quite a bit since then, they are much better in general as far as design and ease of use today, and it is doubtful that there are too many really good old trimmers out there worhy of restoring or refurbishing. I'm almost thinking of getting rid of my electric trimmers for a new 4 stroke trimmer, but am waiting for a good one to go on sale this fall.

-Fordlords-

Have you ever taken a look at the Echo String Trimmers? They are some of the best made!

I got a 4 stroke Ryobi, and have had quite a few cheaper2 strokes...but the Echo I used was top notch.

I was just about to buy a new Echo when someone gave me a free Echo Clone...When it dies, Iver got a Echo with my name on it.