Ferris 1500 Best in Class?

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #11  
art said:
We sell Ferris's, their oldest dealer and probably still sold more then anyone else. We also sell Cadet and Kubota so we have three brands in total. The Ferris's are built in our back yard and have been a good machine from the start. The Cadets have been good with the right application and the Kubota's unique drive system is the best operator so far. It is important to compare like to like when comparing brands and models.

Just interested, can you expand on Kubota unique drive system?
Not trying to high-jack the thread, thought it may help koop too.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #12  
On both models pf Kubota's zero turns they have developed their own drive system. They come from the engine by driveshaft to the unit and it is also shaft to the deck! While designing their own drive unit they also have incorporated a hydraulic lift system for the deck. I can't tell you of the sizes of pumps but for most people they just tell us of a smoother operation and it is a unique design for a zero turns drive system.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class?
To add to my confusion, two used Kubota mowers just appeared locally. Both priced around $7000 with about 500 hours. One KD18 with 60" deck (this needs clarification because I have been told Kubota KD18 came with 54" deck) the other is KD21 with 60" deck. So..... bigger mower with diesel power or smaller mower with gas motor but brand new with two year warranty. Ahhhhhhh, too many options!!!!

OK, It's down to a new Ferris 1500 or a Scag. I rode a Scag Tiger 52" with 27 HP Kohler yesterday. The ride was rough (maybe enough teeth left to eat dinner tonight) but the machine looks built like a tank. The financing and warranty of the new machines are keeping me out of the used market. Maybe the question is: is the machine being beat up as badly as I am, or am I just too soft?

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #15  
Koop,
The Ferris 1500 uses smaller wheel motors than the larger Ferris models. The suspension on the 1500 doesn't last as long as you would hope. The shocks go bad and they aren't cheap. The PTO clutch has half the holding power (125 ft. lbs.) as the other machines.

The Scag is a tank. It has cast iron blade spindles with tapered bearings. The Ferris has aluminum spindles. The Scag has a 250 ft. lb. PTO clutch. The Scag uses top of the line Parker wheel motors.

I have owned both machines and in my opinion the Scag is the better choice.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #16  
How about a hydraulic wet clutch instead of the electric PTO clutch! Hydraulic lift for the deck!!!!!! How about a shaft drive from the the engine to the drives! Shaft drive to the deck! Cast Iron pulleys and a double width drive belt!!!!
Just to name a few of the standard features found on the ZD Kubota chassis, as well as the front jacking system for working on the deck and on the new chassis a door on the floor for quick access to the top of the deck.

Used Scag just appeared in local paper

2003 Tiger Cub
48" deck
19HP Kawi
538 hours
3rd or 4th owner
Asking $4500

Is this a good deal, or should I buy new? New, this unit runs about $6900.

Art, thank you for all your input. I believe the Scag Tiger 61" deck is a little for comparable to the Kubota machines. It too has a shaft driven deck. I must say, this does seem to make a lot of sense. What is different between the Kubota and Scag Tiger just so I can compare apples to apples. Around here, 61" units run $10000 for Scag and $11000 for Kubota (more because of desiel).

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #18  
I have the scag cub with the 48" deck. The cub has a short wheelbase and rides ruff, my yard is fairly smooth so I don't mind. But I will say it is built like a tank and will last many years, most all of the commercial contractors in my area run scags or exmarts. You may want to check out what is being used in your area.

CARNEYM said:
I have the scag cub with the 48" deck. The cub has a short wheelbase and rides ruff, my yard is fairly smooth so I don't mind. But I will say it is built like a tank and will last many years, most all of the commercial contractors in my area run scags or exmarts. You may want to check out what is being used in your area.

Hands down, Kubota is on the back of more trailers than any others. Then John Deere then its a toss up. HUGE Kubota dealer in area drives the popularity, same with JD. The tractor market seems to influence the mower market.

I am going with the Scag, just trying to decide which model.

What is vital and what is just gravy???

Liquid vs. air cooled
Crankshaft out of bottom or back.
Mechanical drive for deck or belt?

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #20  
koop,

If you're only cutting a few acres any Scag will probably out last you. Vertical vs. horizontal engine doesn't really make any difference. Belt drive vs. shaft drive is a matter of opinion. Belts are easy to change, they will dry rot before they wear out unless you're using the machine for commercial use. Liquid cooled engine is a nice feature because it extends engine life. Air cooled is nice because there are fewer componenets to fail...(radiator, water pump, hoses etc.). An air cooled Kawasaki engine used for residential use will most likely out last you.

Jeff