Ferris 1500 Best in Class?

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #1  

koop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case IH 495
To the uninitiated, the new Ferris 1500 zero turn mower seems to be the best mower in the size class. I am looking at the 48" deck with 21HP Kawasaki motor. The Scag, Dixie Chopper and Exmark look like the closest competition, but the suspension system of the Ferris seems to push it to the front of the pack. My local dealer is asking $6199 with 6 months same as cash. I am hoping that someone who has a lot of ours on these machines may know something I am missing as a layman. Thanks

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #2  
This is the third year for my 1500, 48 in. deck with the 21 Kawi. To be honest with you I don't think the suspension sysem on the low end Ferris mowers is any big deal. It's not nearly as smooth as I expected it would be. Quality of cut is another issue that I have with my 1500, not nearly as good as my Woods 6 ft finish mower that I used for 6 yrs. They are not an easy mower to service and the deck is difficult to work on. Mine will be going into the shop soon to fix a switch that has gone bad.
The 48 inch mower, I think, would be better served by a bigger engine, heavy grass can bog it down. I hope I haven't discouraged you from getting one, still a lot of mower for the price. (I paid $5500 back in 2005).

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class?
Oleozz said:
This is the third year for my 1500, 48 in. deck with the 21 Kawi. To be honest with you I don't think the suspension sysem on the low end Ferris mowers is any big deal. It's not nearly as smooth as I expected it would be. Quality of cut is another issue that I have with my 1500, not nearly as good as my Woods 6 ft finish mower that I used for 6 yrs. They are not an easy mower to service and the deck is difficult to work on. Mine will be going into the shop soon to fix a switch that has gone bad.
The 48 inch mower, I think, would be better served by a bigger engine, heavy grass can bog it down. I hope I haven't discouraged you from getting one, still a lot of mower for the price. (I paid $5500 back in 2005).

I assume your finish mower was PTO driven? If you had it to do all over again would it still be the Ferris or would you buy something different?

Thank you for your input.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #4  
Yes, the Woods finish mower was PTO driven.
I would probably buy a Ferris again although I would look at the Hustler Fast Trac. Everyone on www.lawnsite.com. says to test drive them first but nobody around here wants to haul mowers to your house so you can use them. I did mow with the Ferris at the dealers. I liked the Ferris because they are well built and use quality wheel motors and pumps.
I mowed on Friday and was looking at the lawn yesterday and it looks pretty good.

Is the Ferris 1000 still made? It seems to also have a 48" deck and 21 HP Kawi but has a true independent front suspension instead of the solid front on the 1500. I only see the 1500 on Ferris' website.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #6  
Can't answer that but I did see a new one at the mall when they had their home and garden displays, I think it was a 500 and was about that much lower in price than the 1500.
My brother just spent the last three weeks looking at ZTR's and he got a bit discouraged, he felt that the residental mowers didn't look like they would hold up and the commercial mowers were to expensive.
The Kawasaki engine is smooth and is very thrifty with fuel, I would recommend it although from what I've read some of the pros are high on the Kohler engines.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #7  
Don't remember the number. I looked at one that was a 6' cut with a Cat 30hp. I tell you it was a mowing SOB. I got a Kubota Grand L 3130 for the same money. But I sure was impressed with the Ferris.

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #8  
My one neighbor bought one a few years back, he's very happy with it. He lent it to another neighbor, who then liked it so much, he bought one too. I think they are both pretty happy. I mowed with a neighbor's grasshopper, it seemed to ride pretty well, about the same as my BX 2200. Then again with another neighbor's Scag Turf Tiger, a truly, horrible trucklike ride, but an absolute mowing powerhouse... the ride is just too rough though. I hear the Hustler machines with their 'flex fork' fronts ride pretty well.. and are really high quality. Me, I've had my eye on an is1500z for awhile though, and with my BX headed to the shop AGAIN, maybe it's time...

- Patrick

/ Ferris 1500 Best in Class? #9  
We sell Ferris's, their oldest dealer and probably still sold more then anyone else. We also sell Cadet and Kubota so we have three brands in total. The Ferris's are built in our back yard and have been a good machine from the start. The Cadets have been good with the right application and the Kubota's unique drive system is the best operator so far. It is important to compare like to like when comparing brands and models.

What is a good price for the 1500? My local neighbor says he has no wiggle room on the 48" / 21HP model .... $6199 + tax (1% off if I pay cash). On the 52" / 25HP model .... $7199 + tax (3% off for cash). Still cannot decide exactly how much mower I need but his prices seem a little high compared to some I see online, but I cannot find a regional comparison.