JD X485

/ JD X485 #1  

BillyP

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4610 ehydro MFWD
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a dedicated lawn tractor. I found a new X485 2 wheel steer for $8,000 and was wondering if that's a good price? It's a discontinued model so it's hard to check pricing.

Also, which model took the X485's place?

Thanks

/ JD X485
I also found a new X740 for $9,600

/ JD X485
To add a new twist to all this I just got a price on a Kubota GR2100. As far as I can tell the Kubota GR2100 is a close match to the JD X740. Close in everything I could find on the net but one very important thing, the Kubota is $7,200. That's a $2,400 difference. The only big difference I noticed was Kubota has a 54" deck and JD has the 62"?

/ JD X485 #4  
If you're looking to buy a machine that is a dedicated grass cutter then my question is why you're looking at traditional tractors? 5 kilobucks will put you into an excellent ZTR.

FWIW, the GR series Kubotas aren't really directly comparable to the X7xx JD machines. The X7xx tractors are rated for ground engaging implements. The GR Kubotas are ultra-nice lawn tractors.

/ JD X485
Well, to tell you the truth, I don't know. I figure since my yard (4 acres) is mostly wide open space, a garden tractor/riding lawnmower would work just fine.

So you're telling me I can go with a ZTR cheaper? I'm all ears...

/ JD X485 #6  
Are you going to want to bag your grass? Do you spread fertilizer on that 4 acre spread? If you are going with a ZTR, you can tow a spreader. But some EZTrak models from Deere have a powerflow bagger that I would highly recommend if you plan on bagging. How picky are you when it comes to striping and sttraight lines when you mow? ZTRs can be touchy, tractors can be easier to keep straight.

/ JD X485
unit40 said:
Are you going to want to bag your grass? Do you spread fertilizer on that 4 acre spread? If you are going with a ZTR, you can tow a spreader. But some EZTrak models from Deere have a powerflow bagger that I would highly recommend if you plan on bagging. How picky are you when it comes to striping and sttraight lines when you mow? ZTRs can be touchy, tractors can be easier to keep straight.

Really all I want is the lawn mowed and the faster the better. No bagging, fertilizing or anything else.

I want something that will mow grass for a long time before it gives up the ghost.

/ JD X485 #8  
You want speed and long term reliability. That means moving up to commercial mowers with better components. You will need good power to move a bigger machine, bigger deck. Diesels will run longer and will most likely last after the machine has rusted and rattled to pieces. At the price range you are looking at, the choice of ZTR mowers with blistering ground speeds is vast. Start showroom shopping, try them on for size, or pick your favorite color. They all pretty much share similar components underneath. Check out lawnforum and lawnsite and read up.

/ JD X485 #9  
BillyP said:
Well, to tell you the truth, I don't know. I figure since my yard (4 acres) is mostly wide open space, a garden tractor/riding lawnmower would work just fine.

Try and borrow or demo a unit on your lawn. Somehow, I'd suggest you need to get a feel for exactly how level your lawn is. Mine looks pretty good to the naked eye, but the ride is a bit rough with a 25 hp garden tractor with 54" deck. I don't have that many obstacles and it seems to take about 2 - 2.25 hours to cut approx. 2 acres.

There will be a big difference in ride quality depending on the solutions selected.

/ JD X485 #10  
BillyP said:
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a dedicated lawn tractor. I found a new X485 2 wheel steer for $8,000 and was wondering if that's a good price? It's a discontinued model so it's hard to check pricing.

Also, which model took the X485's place?

Thanks

I agree on the ZTR versus lawn tractor. If all you're doing is mowing - ZTR all the way. Plus, many of the ZTR's have suspension making them way more comfortable at the higher mowing speeds. I wouldn't get all hung up over belt versus direct drive as either system can be engineered to work well and last a long time.

A 52-inch ZTR will generally cut 4+ acres per hour....

Ferris, Scag, Kubota, Deere, ExMark, EverRide, or my favorite - the Bad Boy Lightning Z-Series - liquid cooled V-twin Kawasaki motor and suspension.

Find a dealer near you and take some of them for a ride.