Should I wait?

/ Should I wait? #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
Here's an age-old question. I need a garden tractor for some tight areas that I need to mow and also do some grading in. I've been thinking that the Kubota GR2100 would fit the bill with it's tight turning, front blade option that you can control from the driver's seat, 4WD for traction, and a Kubota diesel engine. I've read very good reviews about this machine, although 'locknut' has commented that his gas version GR2000 could use more power.

My dilemma comes in with my having found out that Kubota is coming out with a new version of this machine for it's November sales meeting that should be available in Feb or March of next year. I think this information is pretty reliable, because I got it from my dealer who has a vested interest in selling now verses having me wait. He didn't have one on his lot, so that may have made it easier to forgo the sale, but still, he could have gotten one from another dealer and still made the sale.

I hate to buy just before a new design is coming out. Although the downside is that the new machine won't have had a chance to get bugs worked out of early production units. I learned this lesson well with an early production Toolcat that has given me a lot of trouble. I haven't bought from Kubota before, so I don't know how well they do on getting their new designs ready for prime-time right off the bat.

Still, I can use an inexpensive machine to mow until next season and could wait to do the grading I need to do. So what do you think, do I buy one of the GR2100's at the end of their production cycle, or do I wait seven or eight months for the latest and greatest?

/ Should I wait? #2  
Buy now, don't wait. Kubota is a reputable company and likely will have most bugs worked out, but honestly, can they improve this machine THAT much? We know they do not want to make a machine to take away sales from their BX lineup, so I think that you may best be better off buying the current machine, as it is a know entity and you will likely get a better deal. You could alway trade in a year or two, once the new one has been tested (by others) and probably get a better deal. I must advise I do not always follow this philosophy myself, but think it is the better way to go.

John M

/ Should I wait? #3  
What does your gut feelings telling you...go w/that.

New models may have new problems,and left over model can complete your task for less dollars.

/ Should I wait? #4  
I really try HARD to NOT buy the newest design of anything. Think of the Deere 317 (bad lube design in the motors), the first Mazda rotary engines with bad seals, GM diesel engines of the 1970s, etc. It's usually better to get a product that has a few years in the real world to settle out any problems. I know that's not exciting or adventurious, but it's usually wiser.

/ Should I wait? #5  
Let me add to this..... What happened to the TG1860? Good faithful designs go away because parts can't make money. Same reason Dodge Neon went away. Designed to be reliable cheap transportation.... buy now and save a bundle in possible headaches!

/ Should I wait? #6  
I think some additions to the GR series such as rear engaging attachments,hydraulic lift capability for the front blade and snowblower would be nice and put this line in true garden tractor class.And probably still be less expensive than its nearest competition,Simplicity&JD.

With Glidesteer,these tractors are in a class of their own.The other 4WD tractors on the market can't come close to doing intricate yardwork mowing maneuvers like these can.I've been driving tractors for 50+ years and I'm amazed how well this 4 wheel system works.I zip around the yard,throw it in a tight turn,and there's no front end push to rip up the turf.

As far as the GR2000 being underpowered,I'm probably asking a bit more than it was designed to do,pulling 1200+ lbs up a 58% grade.A dual-range hydro would be nice.