Walk behind sickle mowers

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #1  

LT102

Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Does anyone still make a walk behind sickle mower??? Troy-Bilt and Gravely used to but I can't find where either still does. I'm looking for one and the used ones are so high I thought about looking for a new one. Thanks

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #2  
I also have been looking for one. There are two that come to mind, Jari Monarch and Troy Built.
PJ

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #3  
LT102 said:
Does anyone still make a walk behind sickle mower??? Troy-Bilt and Gravely used to but I can't find where either still does. I'm looking for one and the used ones are so high I thought about looking for a new one. Thanks

I have one of the Troy sickle bar mowers. It still has the **** on the tires. I doubt if it has 10 hours on it. It has been sitting for a while, like three years. I would let it go fairly cheap, but the shipping would be high.

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #4  
Troy-Bilts are on eBay all the time. So are some of the older Jari and Gravely units. One new one is a BCS (click here) but you're going to pay a bunch for it. There is a Two Wheel tractor forum here on TBN you may want to check out. Click here for that

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #7  
I have two Troy bilt sickle bar mowers with the Briggs Quantum engines and 42" bar. They are really amazing on where they will go and what they will cut. Troy does not make them anymore, I presume they didn't sell well because of the cost and they are pretty high maintenance, especially the cutter bar. Look around for a used one and you will be impressed with what they will do.

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #8  
I have an older Jari and I like it very much. It is great for places you can not take a bush hog or where things like cans, bottles, logs or other things may become missiles from beneath a bush hog. Mine is 42 I think and it will cut a path thru high weeds very well. It is dangerous to use around dogs and other pets as they may not see it coming and quickly lose legs or paws in short order.
It is quite fast and can climb hills faster than I can after about an hour of mowing. I usually run a little above idle and the motor is never strained. It is sometimes stalled by larger stems and stocks (above 1? but given a few seconds it will cut most anything that will fit between the guards of the sickle bar.
There is some maintenance with belts and cutting bars and the weeds are left laying where they fall and not ground up like a rotary cutter. This may be the only draw back that I see. I occasionally mow the yard with it and it is not a fine finish mower. For orchards, around ponds, under fences and in hilly areas it is hard to beat.

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #9  
During the late 60's & early 70's my father had a weed cutting business as the local town had a 15" max b/4 code enforcement knocked on your door. We had a Simplicity two wheel tractor w/ three sicklebar heads; always carried one spare on the truck. After the cost of new blades trippled, we got ribbets & a ribbet set and bought flat stock and chiseled the old blades off of broken blades and made new ones using a chunk of RR rail as an anvil.

The condition of the 'fingers' that the blade rides in is also important, they have a cutting edge plate that has to be tight and not missing. We also added a 48" bar on an old simplicity tractor.

The cut weeds disapear pretty quickly considering they are not 'mulched' up like grass clippings...

/ Walk behind sickle mowers #10  
I have a little old Jari sicklebar mower. Ithink it's from 1951 or ealier, but that is just a guess. I think it has a 3hp B and S motor. Hasn't run in several years, but I think with a little effort it would start right up. We used it for over 35 years. Brian