in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
Once I trade up from my sub-compact tractor to a compact tractor, I will need to purchase a lawn/garden tractor to mow trim, around trees, and hard-to-reach areas of my fairly hilly 1.5 acre lawn. I also would like to collect leaves along the 300 ft drive way in the fall. I currently have a 2002 Sears 27 horse, 48" Garden Tractor with bagger but, frankly, I have not been happy with the responsiveness of their service. (It took 6 weeks for them to come out and repair a drive belt pulley that snapped off this past June).

I've always had Sears tractors, but I'm so happy with my Kubota BX 24 that I feel that (when shopping for a garden tractor) I should explore brands like kubota, cc, hv, agco, etc. I also am intrigued by the thought of having a diesel garden tractor as I've been very happy with the diesel engines I've had.

I'm wiling to spend in the neighborhood of $3000 to $4000 or so. Would love to hear thoughts on the above.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #2  
I don't think a new diesel garden tractor is going to happen in that price range, and neither is a higher end gas powered garden tractor..... I'm in the same fix, and have looked. A BX 1850 is a possibility, and some of the Cub Cadets have a good reputation, and are closer to the price range you are looking in. I'm afraid that after having the BX24, you are going to be a little unhappy tooling around on a lesser machine..... I know about that too! :D
I don't know anything about the CC collection systems, but I like the Simplicity, and JD ones the best of the ones I have used.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #3  
For that price range you'll need to look for older used diesel models. For a new machine I can recommend a JD X300 series mower. Identical price range and JD service - you can only get them at the dealers (not box stores). The cutting deck is the same as the JD 2305 runs, so it cuts nicely and can run the JD collection systems. As for their performance, I couldn't say...

I believe that Kubota stopped selling their high end mowers in favor of the BX1550 type machines? I say this because when I went to look at them the dealer said he had stopped carrying them and pointed me towards the BX series. But its worth checking with them anyway!

Good luck!

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #4  
Hi

Well, If your looking for a Diesel Garden Tractor, I would strongly look at a Deere 455 with 22hp Yanmar Diesel! They are an incredible tractor with plenty of power and leave a quality cut. If you have alot of trees to go around, go with AWS. You can get a powerflow bagging system with MCS 519 cart or the Hydrolic Dump box collection system with it's own engine for the back of the 455. You will be happy with a 455. You can find some 455's in the price range of $3- $4,000 dollars, some with low hrs. I would recommend buying a low hr 455 ( 500 -800hrs) but I would not hesitate to buy a 455 with over 1600+ hrs as the Yanmar is a Bullet Proof engine if properly maintaned.

If you liked your Kbouta then look into an older Kbouta Diesel Garden tractor, as they are well built also and can have a bagger mounted on the back.

Take Care Jason B

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #5  
For that money, you could buy a low hours used JD GT235, or GT245. I just bought a used GT235 (year 200), with low hours and it is great. With 48", it would be perfect for your needs.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #7  
bx24d said:
1* I feel that (when shopping for a garden tractor) I should explore brands like kubota, cc, hv, agco, etc.
I also am intrigued by the thought of having a diesel garden tractor
2*I'm wiling to spend in the neighborhood of $3000 to $4000 or so. .
1*CC Probably the most Bang for the buck of any garden tractor out there.
A couple of others i would look into is The Simplicity and the Kubota BX 1500 &1800 series. You could also keep the BX24 for that U know.You don't take a loss on selling it and could be money ahead over selling it an buying a lawn and garden tractor.
2* Don't think you will find a diesel at these prices.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #8  
My son roached a Craftsman (junk) lawn tractor about a month ago. I ended up going out to the local Kubota dealership, since I already have a B7800 with absolutely no issues, and got a T1570. 15 hp koehler engine, 40" deck, and what a nice little machine. You can go to Lowes and get a pretty MTD with different colored paint and stickers to represent the company that doesn't want to deal with lawn tractors anymore(Yardman, Troy-bilt, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc.) But I spent the extra bucks (2500.00) and got a good machine that should last years.
Talk to your buddies who have lawn tractors and get their opinion. I have a buddy with a JD mower who hates it, and another buddy has a JD tractor that likes it. My bro-in-law has an old and new cub cadet, loves the old, hates the new. But I've never heard any complaints about the Kubotas, and I know lots of folks with them, except the ones with Kawasaki engines. The Kubota T series come in different hp's and mower sizes. I got the smaller because I use the B7800 with a 60"to mow most of my yard, (5acres) and a brushhog to do the other fields and such, but the little guy is for obstacles and closer to the house.
I'm weird. If I find something that works, I stick with it. And for that reason, I only buy Kubotas.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #9  
I would stay away from anything that is made by MTD. I had a Cub 3240 and what a piece of 6000 doller junk ! A garden tractor that brakes down form just mowing...wow....Anyway my friend had a small Kubota that he had not even changed a deck belt in 5 years, So I started looking at them and talked myself into a bigger BX 2350. And now after 32 hours on her I know I picked a good machine. On the cub I new after 6 hours I had made a BAD decision.

/ in the market for a new lawn/garden tractor #10  
I can say the X320 has done great on my 2.5 acres of hilly, obstacle ridden lawn. It takes 2.5 hours to do it while bagging (that's an acre an hour) and I only have the 48" deck to keep from scalping so much. I just looked at my receipt and it was a little more than you want to spend ($4900 with the power flow). It picks everything up like a vacuum, even small branches. In the 90 days I've used it, I've had 69 hours of trouble free service from it. They may get cheaper this time of year???