Scotts 1642 loose front wheels

/ Scotts 1642 loose front wheels #1  

ikymojoe

Tractor
John Deere 790
Hello,

I have a Scotts 1642 lawn tractor (equivalent of a John Deere Sabre Model) that the front wheels feel loose. They are loose like when you check for car tires for loose bearing nuts.

I have tried to pull off the plastic covers on the front wheels but cannot remove them. Are they removable? I feel like I should be able to tighten a nut just like on my car. Just checking because I do not want to rip the plastic covers.

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe

/ Scotts 1642 loose front wheels #2  
Jack up the wheel and take a large flat screwdriver and gently pry the rubber cup off. Put some pressure in several different locations as you rotate the tire. It should come off. I've got the same mower but the manual is out in the shed. If you have trouble post a reply and I'll get the manual and see exactly what it says.

/ Scotts 1642 loose front wheels
Update:

I tried to pry off with a screwdriver and no luck. I also tried to pull off with a big pair of pliers and ended up ripping a small hole in the cover. So, I decided to not do further damage and stopped while I am ahead. I greased the fitting and noticed grease coming through the small tear hole I put in the cover. I do not believe it is removable. Also, greasing seemed to fix the loose wheel issue.

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe