Safety Switches

/ Safety Switches #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
So, I now have an MTD Yard Machine from the early 90's. I removed the mower deck and all of the linkage including the raise/lower lever. I don't plan to mow with this tractor in the future. Just want to use it to pull implements and a small trailer.

So anyway, there are two fail-safe switches that prevent you from starting the tractor with the PTO engaged or without depressing the brake/clutch pedal. They are items 7 and 11 on this diagram. 7 is the clutch interlock and I believe that one will be fine. 11 is the PTO interlock and that one will be a problem for me because I removed the lever (PTO and deck up/down same lever).

Can someone tell me how I should bypass the PTO switch? Do I just solder yellow to yellow and orange to orange? Is their an easier way? I thought about using zip-ties on the switch, but with all the vibrations, I think jumper wires or some other type of more permanant bypass would be better.
Wire.jpg

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
   / Safety Switches #2  
If you really want to bypass the safety interlock switches, then you are right about not trying to use a zip tie or something. It'll fall apart on you. It does look like you want to hook yellow / yellow and orange / orange, but I can't tell if that is simply a safety switch or if it is also the switch that activates the PTO? If it is just a safety switch you're cool - if it is also an on / off switch you might get some unexpected results.

The easy way to check is just to strip the wires, wrap them together, and try it. Do be careful when you fire it up, though, since you are bypassing the interlock - hopefully shorting those wires won't engage your PTO.

/ Safety Switches
The PTO is actually a manual one. As you lower the deck, the first couple of inches slide the deck back slightly and engage the drive belt. I believe the switch prevents you from starting the tractor with the PTO engaged. So that explains the orange wire. Not sure why the yellow one connects to the PTO safety switch...

Thanks,
Doug

/ Safety Switches #4  
I believe you leave them disconnected. I had an MTD about the same vintage. The switches went bad one by one. If I remember correctly, I just disconnected them. I also got tired of the mower shutting off when I mowed and hit a bump at the same time.

/ Safety Switches
Okay, it's figured out. The orange wire got soldered and bypassed the PTO switch. The yellow wire stayed cut.

You'll notice a fuse on the diagram (#3), it was blown. Once I replaced it I was able to crank the motor over using an old battery.

Didn't have enough juice to get it started. I really need fresh gas and probably a pair of new plugs. I'll give it a shot in the spring and hope to use it to pull my aerator around the yard.

For now the MTD is back in the shed :)
Doug