Not to beat a dead horse, but.......

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #1  

csr0831

Silver Member
Gentlemen

I know the subject of GR2100's and their weak Hydros has been beat to death, but I have one more question that I hope someone will be able to shed some light on. I have owned mine for about three years and it has only 73 hours on it. All maintainance has been performed as directed in the owners manual. This past summer I was trying to drag some old concrete blocks up from behind my bulkhead and it couldn't do it. The tractor was on grass and my question is; even thought it could not move the blocks, with the engine at WOT and the hydro pedal to the floor, should the wheels have spun? If I moved the steering wheel back and forth a bit the front ones would slip a little, but not the rears. Is the transmission really that weak, or is there a problem. I've read about the adjustments others have performed because of slow reverse (mine is also slow and I have had problems backing up hill with it) and I intend to try adjusting mine too, but I haven't as yet. Thank you gentlemen, any and all help is appreciated!

Chris

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #2  
csr0831 said:
Gentlemen

I know the subject of GR2100's and their weak Hydros has been beat to death, but I have one more question that I hope someone will be able to shed some light on. I have owned mine for about three years and it has only 73 hours on it. All maintainance has been performed as directed in the owners manual. This past summer I was trying to drag some old concrete blocks up from behind my bulkhead and it couldn't do it. The tractor was on grass and my question is; even thought it could not move the blocks, with the engine at WOT and the hydro pedal to the floor, should the wheels have spun? If I moved the steering wheel back and forth a bit the front ones would slip a little, but not the rears. Is the transmission really that weak, or is there a problem. I've read about the adjustments others have performed because of slow reverse (mine is also slow and I have had problems backing up hill with it) and I intend to try adjusting mine too, but I haven't as yet. Thank you gentlemen, any and all help is appreciated!

Chris

I am not familiar with that unit, but most hydros have a relief valve that opens to protect the transmission when you are operating beyond the capacity of the tractor. So no, they should not have spun.

Tim

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #3  
I know it's not what you have but my hydro jd will spin the tires with the chains on until it A. digs a hole B. pulls the load C. finds traction & tips the mower over.D. stalls the engine.

I would find it incredible that a 21 hp tractor couldn't put enough power to the ground to spin the tires.. Was the motor bogging down at all?

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but.......
dubba said:
I know it's not what you have but my hydro jd will spin the tires with the chains on until it A. digs a hole B. pulls the load C. finds traction & tips the mower over.D. stalls the engine.

I would find it incredible that a 21 hp tractor couldn't put enough power to the ground to spin the tires.. Was the motor bogging down at all?

No, the moter sounded as though no additional load were on it at all. It's deisel and has a fair amount of torque. Seems to me that on grass, with turf tires, it should have spun. I know the hydro has a preessure release that will keep it from overloading under a lot of stress, but in my opinion this sisuation should not have overloaded the capibilities of the machine. JMHO.

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #5  
csr0831 said:
No, the moter sounded as though no additional load were on it at all. It's deisel and has a fair amount of torque. Seems to me that on grass, with turf tires, it should have spun. I know the hydro has a preessure release that will keep it from overloading under a lot of stress, but in my opinion this sisuation should not have overloaded the capibilities of the machine. JMHO.

Maybe you have a weak spring in the relief valve? The ones I am familiar with can be shimmed.

Tim

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #6  
I had a similar problem with my JD last spring. It wouldn't load the engine and the tires would not spin in mud. The hydro just whined louder as I pressed the pedal. My dealer replaced the Hydro under warranty and now all seems well...

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #7  
I'm going with relief on this one. The GR's aren't made for pulling that kind of weight, they probably have the relief set low. Do you notice issues on hills?

To my knowledge, the transmission problems are mostly related to seals and external leaking. Powerloss is not a side effect I've heard of.

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but.......
MessickFarmEqu said:
I'm going with relief on this one. The GR's aren't made for pulling that kind of weight, they probably have the relief set low. Do you notice issues on hills?

To my knowledge, the transmission problems are mostly related to seals and external leaking. Powerloss is not a side effect I've heard of.

I do not notice it going forward up a hill, but in reverse, there are couple of places I mow going forward that the machine will not go up in reverse. Just sits there. No apparent loading of the engine or anything. If the transmission in this thing really is this weak....well, I'm pretty disappointed. I have a 22 year old Gravely with an 18 hp GAS engine that will pull circles around this thing...of couse it is a manual tranny. Anyway....I did not really expect it to pull that chunck of concreate out of the hole, but sitting on a manicured lawn with turf tires, you would think it should have spun the tires over. Maybe I am expecting too much......

/ Not to beat a dead horse, but....... #10  
csr0831 said:
; even thought it could not move the blocks, with the engine at WOT and the hydro pedal to the floor, should the wheels have spun? Chris

Pedal to the floor may have been part of your problem. If your tractor had a manual transmission, having the pedal to the floor would be the equivelant of having it in high gear. It seems odd, but that is the way a hydro trans works.