Country Clipper ZTR

/ Country Clipper ZTR #1  

jand38

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 30
I would appreciate input on the Country Clipper ZTR brand I like the flip up deck and choice of joy stick or dual-levered control, Hydro-Gear hydrostatic pump, Parker Ross wheel motors and many other positive features. The only problem I see not many dealers here in Texas so any dealers in South East, East or Mid-West?
I did not realize that when trying to make ones mind up on a ztr it would be so hard, to many choices.
Thanks

/ Country Clipper ZTR #3  
We had a few of the smaller Country Clippers last year. I really liked the unit, it is very well made. We ended up handling Dixie Chopper as our exclusive ZTR mower line so no longer handle country clipper. I did like the joystick on the CC. The flip up deck takes some muscle and is probably not as practical as it seems at first. (just as easy to jack up the whole mower in my opinion). I think the problem is that there are more lines of zTR mowers than dealers in most areas, from my experience, it is easier to sell a well known brand. We did do a warranty claim for Shivers (Country Clipper mfg) and they were good to deal with. that is about all I can say. Dixie choper has a new mower coming next spring starting at $4499 called the "Iron Eagle".

/ Country Clipper ZTR
Thank you Bluechip I went and tried one of the C/C the joystick is great but dealer is 70 miles from me and the Dixie Chopper is 90 miles. I will have a Ferris demo Friday I bought my Cub from this dealership, good people,5 miles from my home so unless I do not like the Ferris for some reason it will have a home. Thanks again

/ Country Clipper ZTR #5  
jand38 said:
I would appreciate input on the Country Clipper ZTR brand I like the flip up deck and choice of joy stick or dual-levered control, Hydro-Gear hydrostatic pump, Parker Ross wheel motors and many other positive features. The only problem I see not many dealers here in Texas so any dealers in South East, East or Mid-West?
I did not realize that when trying to make ones mind up on a ztr it would be so hard, to many choices.
Thanks

The joy stick makes it really sweet! I have the 60" Charger model, and as was said earlier, it takes some strength, but I have plenty to "lift" the deck up.

Big tires and articulating front axle help too.

I'm positive if owners of twin stick ztr's tried a joy stick model,,,,, they would want to switch, especially when mowing around bushes, and or low branches!

/ Country Clipper ZTR #6  
I actually asked the same question a couple years ago here and ended up getting on from another satisfied owner of one from this forum as well.

I've got the 25hp Kawasaki Charger model.

I love it, seems bomb proof, and the joystick is GREAT. I actually got one so my dad could mow when he visits . Very easy even for a 75 year old to control the unit once you get used to the joy stick. My neighbors "twin stick" just wore my dad out using both arms.

I can raise the deck in under two minutes, no problems at all, and it does seem to make servicing under the deck a breeze.

My neighbor who had the twin stick even tried it and he LOVED it only for the fact that he could smoke and drink a beer even easier:D

That said, it does seems like the manufacturer does have issues with their distribution process and picking and keeping dealers. The guy who I bought mine from closed his doors, and the next closest dealer is about 80 miles away. Not a huge issue, but it would be nice if more "real" dealers carried them.

/ Country Clipper ZTR
Thanks for the reply when I test drove it I fell in love with the joy stick but the lack of dealership made my decision to go with the Ferris. The two levered steering will take some getting use to but with 1000's being sold I bet I can learn how to keep from hitting trees.

/ Country Clipper ZTR #8  
jand38 said:
The two levered steering will take some getting use to but with 1000's being sold I bet I can learn how to keep from hitting trees.

Boy I hope it doesn't take you 1000's of mowers to get the hang of it...that could get expensive! LOL

A couple of pointers I picked up on another forum is to make 3-point turns, not just a spin around zero, and keep both rear wheels moving during a turn. This is less likely to tear up your turf. This technique seems to work well with my Dixie.

/ Country Clipper ZTR #9  
It's not too hard to drive one handed on a twin stick ZTR, although it does depend on the unit though, I can drive easily one handed on my 322d Grasshopper but not so on my Hustler mini fasttrack.

The input on the motors are different so the Hustler requires more movement where the Grasshopper doesn't.

I am able to drink more beer on the Grasshopper:)

/ Country Clipper ZTR #10  
jand38; I feel, with two lever steering, going around trees or along side buildings it is easier to leave one handle stationary(in a slight forward position) and just control the "turn" with the other handle. Hope this helps.