Removing spindle from mower deck

/ Removing spindle from mower deck #1  

Bulverde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Is the thread on the spindle pully (mower deck) normal left thread to remove? I need to get the unit off to repair the deck but it is either waaaaayyyy tight or reverse thread.

Anyone have a spare deck that they want to get rid of?

/ Removing spindle from mower deck #2  
Welcome to TBN Kurt, is this on a brush cutter for your tractor, or are you talking about a smaller riding type mower?

Oops! just saw where your talking about spindle pulley, so must be smaller unit. Have you tried an impact wrench?

/ Removing spindle from mower deck
sorry...It's a Scotts (JD) riding mower L1742.

/ Removing spindle from mower deck #4  
Here is a pdf manual for your mower (I think). It doesn't say that it has left hand threads, so I guess it is just a standard bolt. Mower info starts on page 40. Good luck. You may already have this info?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/scotts/pdfs/gx20928i1.pdf

It is a pretty large file, so it loads slow.

/ Removing spindle from mower deck #5  
Try some heat (propane torch) if you suspect that LokTite tread locker has been used. Heat releases LokTite.

Post the JD model equivalent model or look up the parts description on the JD site. That will show you the handed-ness of the thread.

I have a spare 72" JD MMM deck that I was going to convert to hydraulic drive and put on my FEL. Will that fit under your Scotts ?

/ Removing spindle from mower deck #6  
Bulverde said:
Is the thread on the spindle pully (mower deck) normal left thread to remove? I need to get the unit off to repair the deck but it is either waaaaayyyy tight or reverse thread.

Anyone have a spare deck that they want to get rid of?

IT should be a standard thread, if you have an impact wrench, set it as high as possible and just keep it going, it will normally lossen bolts , soak with pentrating oil fist tho.

/ Removing spindle from mower deck
Gentlemen,

Thank you. Everyone has been most helpful.