I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #1  

Housten

Tractor
Kubota L3010, Craftsman DGS 6500
It seems that I have to many choices and need some help deciding which one to get. I have a list of the different main parts I am considering.

Engine - Kohler Pro Courage , B&S Extended Life Series, or B&S Intek V-Twin?

Deck size/Thickness - 54"/10 or 42to48/11?

Transmission - Automatic or extra heavy duty 6 speed manual (which is $300 less)?

I just need a mower that will mainly vacuum leaves and cut grass. I already have a Kubota L3010 w/ finish mower for cutting most of my grass except for the 2 acres with oak and giant oak trees near my house.

Any help that you can provide for me to decide on the three main parts above would be appreciated.

Housten

Last edited:
   / I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #2  
Housten said:
It seems that I have to many choices and need some help deciding which one to get. I have a list of the different main parts I am considering.

Engine - Kohler Pro Courage , B&S Extended Life Series, or B&S Intek V-Twin?

Deck size/Thickness - 54"/10 or 42to48/11?

Transmission - Automatic or extra heavy duty 6 speed manual (which is $300 less)?

I just need a mower that will mainly vacuum leaves and cut grass. I already have a Kubota L3010 w/ finish mower for cutting most of my grass except for the 2 acres with oak and giant oak trees near my house.

Any help that you can provide for me to decide on the three main parts above would be appreciated.

Housten

I think most of it will just be personal preference. The Briggs ELS is the better of the two B&S engines. I'm sure the Kohler Courage would be fine as well. As far as the deck thickness... I wouldn't worry... there really isn't much difference there. I'd just concentrate on the size deck you want. When I bought mine I opted for the gear tranny... just seems like the most time tested and reliable way to go. But if you'd rather the auto I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. If I was to recommend a certain way to go I would probably just say to look at the "yard" or "garden" tractors.... since they are built heavier than the "lawn" tractors.

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #3  
Although it is only my opinion that the Sears Craftsman tractors are equal in quality to other brands in that price range, I would strongly suggest that you look elsewhere. I'm not bashing the Crafstman tractor here by any means, I am just forwarding my knowledge that Sears customer service really leaves a lot to desire. If you ever need warranty service or parts etc.... from them, you would most likely wish you purchased a tractor from a tractor dealer somewhere near you. Check out the famous national consumer reporting publication and you will find reliability reports for all brands of tractors,

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #4  
I owned a Huskavarna 1542 for a number of years - I believe that's who makes Sears' - and finally gave up on it for the broken parts. Final straw was the bent deck, went to straighten it out and it bent like a pop can, way to light gauged. I agree with dmanspadge, go with a heavier unit.

Had the 15 horse Kawasaki, that was a very nice engine.

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #5  
I honestly believe that for the same or less money you can buy a very good Cub Cadet tractor/mower. This way you have the dealer backing you will eventually need, unlike Sears. The Cub models are definitely the equal of, or often much better than the Sears offerings. I work for one of the major small engine companies in customer service and see these situations daily, so I am offering my friendly advice based upon that experience.

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #6  
Good rules of thumb for garden tractor happiness -

Buy something that isn't sold in a big box or department store.
Buy something that doesn't have a Briggs and Stratton engine.

A B&S Vanguard being the exception to the last rule...

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #7  
I have had good luck with used equipment. In addition, both of my mowers have Briggs and Stratton engines and run great. People really go back and fourth between B&S and Kohler, and honestly I think that it mainly comes down to how well the engine has been maintained.

On my oldest ridding mower (1993 yr Murray), it's 12.5 B&S still fires up like new and runs like a champ. How's that for a 15 year old engine that has never been rebuilt?

My advice, buy used lawn equipment and put your money into your tractor or another cool tractor (something from the 50's).

:)

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #8  
Although I am satisfied with my Craftsman tractor for the most part, I cannot get the mower deck to cut level. No matter what adjustments I make, it doesn't matter. I have adjusted the linkage, the scalp wheels, and tire pressure, still to no avail. Unless I cut the grass every other day, I do not get a level cut.

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #9  
I'm gonna go along with user care and maintenance being more important than the engine brand. I've got mowers with Kohler, Briggs and Tecumseh. Checking the oil every time before using the mower is most important, with regular oil changes being next.

Too much oil is as bad as not enough. Keep the oil between the fill and add marks on the dipstick.

A new engine especially is going to use a little oil until the rings seat.

If you have any slopes to cut, a pressurized lubrication system is imperative. Some engines only have a pressurized oil filter, and will starve the bearings on a slope.:eek:

Good luck with your purchase.
Ted

/ I need help deciding which mower to get at Sears #10  
Eureka makes Sears mowers (makes vacum cleaners also). Additionally they make the consumer Husqvara mowers.