Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation

I'm partial to WheelHorse.
    You'll be able to get a decent machine for $500. Parts are cheap and plentiful, the Unidrive gear trans are considered amongst the strongest. You'll pull anything in low range.

For effective pulling you need weight, and lots of it. My personal experience indicates you can put 500lbs of rear weight on a WheelHorse, and load the tyres with 70 lbs of fluid each.
    With loader and backhoe my 12HP WheelHorse weighs around 2000lbs, and the wheels just dont slip. I can pull trucks up the hill into the garage no worries.

I dont think you'll need any more than 10-12HP tops for your use. Towing takes hardly any HP. You just need lots of weight.
    Last edited by Mith; 07-22-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 425( soon to be 455)

Hi

For your applications, I would look at a Simplicity Sustar, also sold as the DA Ultima 1918/1920,1916,1914, and later as the Agco Allis 1918h and 1920h, as well as the MF 2918h and 2920h.

Get a 20hp Sunstar with rear differential lock and 20hp version and it would be enough to pull your log spitter aroud. The Simplicity version and Agco versions sell for a little more then the DA version, so you might be able to pick up a 1987/88 Duetz Allis 1920 cheap. They are built like a tank and a heavy puller as well. Theres also a banged up Deere 455 on ebay for $700 bucks currently. Has an oil leak, and costmetics an't that great but would work for your applications as well. It's got 3,170 hrs on the clock though so if your going to be using it more then a couple of hrs per week it may not be the best choice. Take Care Jason B

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

My first tractor was a Cub Cadet, they were made by IH at one time, I had it for almost 20 years and I bought it used also, 10 hp hydrostat, was a little under powered but was tough, paid around $1,500.00 for it and my neighbor thought I was crazy at the time to pay that much cause "I could of got a brand new Craftsman" well I never had any regrets, I gave it to my employee and it's still going strong.

I also have a wheel horse that I just use as a utility/tow mover, it's only 8 hp and standard, a local guy builds and pulls with WH and they put like 60 horse thru those rear ends with no problems.

Had a Bolens hydro for a while but was not impressed, and now have a newer JD to make mowing and plowing a little more comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

I was very impressed with the durability of my 1970's Ariens. It had a 14HP Kohler and hyrdo trans. I sold it for $1,000.00 with a mower deck and blower. Both were shaft driven and hydraulically lifted. You could easily get the tractor alone for $500.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

I use an 4x4 ATV for pulling my trailer, log splitter and concrete mixer. It is much faster than a tractor and useful all winter in the snow. A whole lotta fun too. I use it for trail riding also.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN-70A, Cub Cadet 109, Kubota U-35 mini-ex,SCAG Wild Cat

From what I've seen on Ebay and craigslist, the Cub Cadets have the best look for me, with simplicity not far behind. I'm talking the 60's/70's era. It seems the Wheelhorse are also very rugged, though not as stylish. I figure if I'm gonna get something old, I''d want something that has some style to it. The CC's seem pretty desireable to collectors, so maybe not as common as some others. I know wheelhorse is fairly common in my immediate area so that holds promise. I'm willing to drive some if the deal is right, as I'm not in a hurry. I'm waiting on a NH TN-70 to arrive in Feb so that is much anticipated, and I'll want a trailer to go with it. Therefore cost is in consideration. I would love to have a 4 wheeler, I'm sure It would be better overall, but you can't have everything.....at once. So I'm gonna sit back and keep my eyes open. Thanks for your replies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123