Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
I've owned a couple of lawn tractors before, and though I prefer to not use for lawn cutting, I do see their utility for pulling carts, spreading fert. and getting into tight spaces. I've got a SCAG ZTR for lawncutting, and a Ford 1520 for heavier work but was considering getting a lawn/garden tractor to move my logsplitter into back yards, and maybe move logs on a cart or with a logging arch. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an older model machine that I can fix up to use for this. It should be compact enough to fit through your average fence gate, yet have enough power and maybe can take Ag type tires. Traction is important in this case pulling a heavy load so it would have to be able to take better tires. I don't know maybe in the 16-20hp range, with a strong frame that can take a hitch ball. I've seen some older Wheel horse models with the horizontal engines that looked pretty strong, but I'm looking for suggestions for any of the older machines that meet my criteria. Thanks for your help.

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #2  
Have you thought along the lines of some of the smaller Yanmars ? YM135, YM155, Ym1100, YM1300 etc. ? I have a couple of classic Cub Cadets ( model 70, 100, 109 ) that I use for what you are describing but I spend way too much time trying to keep them on the road.

Bruce

Attachments

• YM1100_a.jpg
    YM1100_a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 546
   / Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation
Thanks Bruce, real nice Yanmar. I like the Yanmar, just that I'm not looking to spend much $. I would think a diesel SCUT like this even in rough condition would run a grand and Im looking to spend no more than $500, preferrably less. Do you have any pics of your Cub Cadets?

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #4  
If looking to spend ~$500: Old Gravely garden tractor. Tanks. Excellent traction. heavy duty. Old Ingersol or Simplicity too.

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #6  
Pretty much ANY brand garden tractor from before 1985 with a Kohler "K" series motor fits your needs. Made by Deere, Cub, Massey Ferguson, Ariens, Gravely, Simplicity, Snapper, Case/Ingersoll, Power King, Speedex, Wheelhorse, Toro, and probably a few others. For good parts availability (both new and used) I'd probably focus on Deere and Cub. The Deere 200 series and Cub Cadet 100 series and Cub 1250, 1450, 1650 come to mind as being current bargains on the used market.

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #7  
bontai_Joe said:
Pretty much ANY brand garden tractor from before 1985 with a Kohler "K" series motor fits your needs. Made by Deere, Cub, Massey Ferguson, Ariens, Gravely, Simplicity, Snapper, Case/Ingersoll, Power King, Speedex, Wheelhorse, Toro, and probably a few others. For good parts availability (both new and used) I'd probably focus on Deere and Cub. The Deere 200 series and Cub Cadet 100 series and Cub 1250, 1450, 1650 come to mind as being current bargains on the used market.

If you're looking at an old one with a Kohler KT series flat twin, make sure it is a Series II engine with pressurized lube. The Series I engines gave some tractors like the JD 317 a bad reputation because of their oiling problems when using them on slopes and the uphill cylinder wasn't effectively lubricated with their splash-oiling system. The later Series II engines had an oil pump and pressurized lubrication and were great engines...

Similarly, avoid the Kohler Triad OHC V-twin engines -- they tended to self-destruct also...

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #8  
You can pick up a early 1970's Cub cadet at auctions for a few hundred bucks. They have the Kohler 301 series engine, 12 horse, and it's bulletproof. I have 2 of them that I use for the same thing you are considering doing.

They have a real steel frame and are driveshaft driven, no belt drive.

They are also the machine I used to teach the grandkids to drive.

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #9  
While I agree with the other posters about the equipment available for $500, I'm wondering about the size logs you are talking about moving. I think most of these machines weight about 400-600 lbs.

If you look at the Cub Cadets from the mid to late 70's, look at the rubber isolation engine mounts. They are usually shot and if the owner didn't replace them in time, the oil pan will be damaged as well. That could end up being $100 in parts plus labor. But it's possible to fix one up and stay within your $500 budget or sometimes you'll find one that was maintained well and doesn't need much work.

/ Good, Older Used Lawn Tractor Recommendation #10  
I would think he'd want something heavy for the traction. That is why I suggested the Gravely - an awesome puller!