Bad Boy ZTR mowers ?

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #91  
Hey guys...........this post was started quite awhile back. I was wondering how everyone's BB's are holding up? I'm in the market for a zero turn mower this spring and the BB is definitely on the short list ........... I'll be cutting approximately 5 acres with trees scattered throughout the property. I like the Cat diesel but I'm concerned about the weight of the machine which is going to probably push me toward the outlaw lineup. Is anyone running either of these machines? If so, what are your thoughts?

Cajunpride,
Can't give you any user experience, but will say that I made a Bad Boy dealer an offer last fall on a 54" Outlaw with the 30hp Briggs Commercial engine. The only things that were "negative" on that mower was I preferred Kawasaki engines over Briggs and the fact that the 5gauge deck was soooo heavy that I couldn't adjust the cutting height. I am a polio survivor which affected my right leg muscle and I just couldn't lift the deck to adjust it. Don't get me wrong, that deck looks "indestructible" and I had resolved that if I bought it I would get the height set and just leave it(I seldom ever moved any of my lawn tractor deck adjustments over the years for my lawn). The deal-breaker is that I offered the dealer $6,800 out-the-door and he was asking $7,033. I offered the Gravely dealer the same($6,800) for the Pro-Turn 152 XDC(Gravely's entry-level Commercial) which was almost $1,000 off the MSRP(plus tax) and $300 less than the dealer's first quote($7,100 out-the-door). The different design on the Gravely deck adjustment did not pose the adjustment problem for my bad leg like the Bad Boy. And the Gravely is every bit as good as the Bad Boy in every technical aspect(has a 7gauge deck rather than a 5gauge, but has a lifetime deck warranty). As I understand it, the Gravely that I bought went up $300 for 2013 but if you have a Gravely dealer nearby I would still recomend you look at one and compare to the Bad Boy and others on your short list(however, if the dealer had accepted my counter offer I would not have hesitated to buy the Bad Boy). I also made offers on similar Hustler and Dixon ZTR's and was impressed with the Toro as well. There are a lot of good ZTR's out there to choose from and I hope your short list helps you pick the right one for your needs!!

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #92  
We bought the 60" badboy from tsc last week. She's not near as nice as yours we could tell it beat the cub by a mile. So far it cuts like a dream.

Thanks for the response CowboyRon!

This is pretty much what I hear from the majority of BB owners!

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #93  
Cajunpride,
Can't give you any user experience, but will say that I made a Bad Boy dealer an offer last fall on a 54" Outlaw with the 30hp Briggs Commercial engine. The only things that were "negative" on that mower was I preferred Kawasaki engines over Briggs and the fact that the 5gauge deck was soooo heavy that I couldn't adjust the cutting height. I am a polio survivor which affected my right leg muscle and I just couldn't lift the deck to adjust it. Don't get me wrong, that deck looks "indestructible" and I had resolved that if I bought it I would get the height set and just leave it(I seldom ever moved any of my lawn tractor deck adjustments over the years for my lawn). The deal-breaker is that I offered the dealer $6,800 out-the-door and he was asking $7,033. I offered the Gravely dealer the same($6,800) for the Pro-Turn 152 XDC(Gravely's entry-level Commercial) which was almost $1,000 off the MSRP(plus tax) and $300 less than the dealer's first quote($7,100 out-the-door). The different design on the Gravely deck adjustment did not pose the adjustment problem for my bad leg like the Bad Boy. And the Gravely is every bit as good as the Bad Boy in every technical aspect(has a 7gauge deck rather than a 5gauge, but has a lifetime deck warranty). As I understand it, the Gravely that I bought went up $300 for 2013 but if you have a Gravely dealer nearby I would still recomend you look at one and compare to the Bad Boy and others on your short list(however, if the dealer had accepted my counter offer I would not have hesitated to buy the Bad Boy). I also made offers on similar Hustler and Dixon ZTR's and was impressed with the Toro as well. There are a lot of good ZTR's out there to choose from and I hope your short list helps you pick the right one for your needs!!

Thank you sir for the response!

Gravely makes a fine machine.......no doubt about that!

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #94  
Hey guys...........this post was started quite awhile back. I was wondering how everyone's BB's are holding up? I'm in the market for a zero turn mower this spring and the BB is definitely on the short list ........... I'll be cutting approximately 5 acres with trees scattered throughout the property. I like the Cat diesel but I'm concerned about the weight of the machine which is going to probably push me toward the outlaw lineup. Is anyone running either of these machines? If so, what are your thoughts?
The CAT would be major overkill for 5 acres. Their cheapest model with a 60" deck will handle that just fine. Still no major issues with my Lightning. I change oil , have replaced two of the 3 spindle bearings, 1 belt, and 1 battery. It's a 2006 model.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #95  
I just purchased a Bad Boy Outlaw XP with a 72" deck. I went to the dealer to purchase a new mower with a 72" deck, Vangaurd 36, grammer seat, and a ROPS since they did not have one in stock they woudl have to order one in from the factory and it would take 7 to 10 days. After two weeks I called them back and they said the factory was backordered on the Vangaurds, they said it would take another week and they should have some in. Another week went by and still no mower when I called them, they said the factory was still backordered but my seat came in. They said they had another Outlaw XP at another location that had the 30hp Kawasaki instead of the Vanguard and wanted to know if I would be interested in it, I told them I was and they did not charge me for the Kawasaki upgrade which was about $300.

That following sunday they delivered the mower and dropped it off at my house while I was there. After they left I went to mow grass and the mower did not even have enough power to spin up the blades. The mower did have enough power to move itself but not run the blades. I called the dealer and they came and picked it back up. They took it to the repair shop and called me back to said they found the problem and they were going to repair it, when I asked what they found the Kawasaki had a stripped head bolt. At that point I told them I wanted a new mower and not one that would have to have the head replaced or a heli-coil installed. I ended up emailing Bad Boy and explained what I ran into and did not hear anything back from the factory. The dealer did get in contact with the factory and they agreed to get me a new mower. After an additional two weeks of waiting it showed up. You would have thought it would have the grammer seat I ordered installed on it but it didnt. I asked the dealer to put the one on they had already got for me, and he said they sold it to another person on another mower and they have another one ordered for me. Well come to find out the grammer seats apparently are also backordered and Bad Boy does not have any.

I have used the mower right at 10 hours and it is a cutting machine. I went out to mow today and went to let the deck down with the electric lift and all it would do was chatted and not go down. Apparently the linear actuator that electronically rases and lowers the deck has now went out. the way they mounted the actuator in the frame is a pain to get out when the deck is in the up position, the actuator only has a bolt on each end for a total of two and it took an hour to get it out because you cannot get a wrench or socket int here the way they built it. I was almost to the point of getting my cutting torch out, but I finally managed to get it out. I was now at least able to to manually lower the deck and mow. Now I have to go through the dealer to get a new actuator for the deck, and I am also still waiting on a grammer seat. When the mower runs it does do some cutting I do give them credit for that.