thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #1  

sshure

I'm thinking about buying a new Dixie Chopper classic ZTR mower, I mow about 6 acres around the farm, trees etc, does anyone have any experience or input on this machine, especially, does it eliminate fall raking...

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #2  
While I don't own a Classic model (only mowing about 2.5 acres), I do own a Dixie. At the time I was looking, The Classic was only about $700 more that the Silver Eagle that I got, but I felt then, and still do believe, that the smaller frame ZTR was a better fit for my application. I bought a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle LT2700-60D. My only complaint with it is I run out of grass to cut too soon!

When I first got mine back in June '07, my grass had not been cut for probably 3 weeks (read at least 12" tall in places) due to existing mower being down (back-ordered part). The DC was an absolute beast in that tall, wet grass. I cut it once at the 4" and after I let dry, I hit it again a couple more times, and was left with very little I had to rake up. In some of the heaviest areas, I just kept blowing the same direction toward the hedge row.

With regard to leaf raking, I would say it depends upon how many trees you have, their size, and how dense they are on your property. In my case, while the deck does do a great job of chopping them up, I'm considering a collection unit for the simple fact that I have 8 fully mature trees 2 maple, 4 willow, 1 ash, and 1 box elder - within probably a quarter acre. I just think that's a few too many pounds of leaves per sqft for the area to absorb as the grass tends to be a little thin despite using low sunlight seed.

Before I got mine, I had heard/read all the complaints and negative comments about DCs from a few different forums, and was initially not going to even entertain a second look at them. But fortunately for me, I not only looked again, but demoed and bought one. The truth prevailed.

In hindsight, I now believe most of these derogatory statements about DCs to be either extremely out-dated experiences, or out-and-out lies. In fact, when I posed just such a question (Due to every company's commitment to continuing improvement in product development, when does one's experience with a particular make/model no longer hold any validity?), I received no answers.

For me, the DC was easily the most bang for the buck. I had looked at most other makes' small frame, full hydro not IZT, 60", min 23hp, and had pretty much narrowed it down to a Scag Tiger Cub (yes, they do, or at least did, actually make a 23hp 60" Cub - a model my local dealer actually didn't know was offered), and the LT2700-60D. The Scag was $1500 more, had at least a two week lead-time, and was not, despite the manufacturer feeling otherwise, considered by the dealer to be a good combination (they tried to sell me a 48" floor model instead). The DC dealer had probably two of each LT, I lost count all the Coatesvilles, at least one diesel, and one LPG model in stock.

Okay, let me get this straight: more HP for less money, and it's in stock. Hello! This is a no-brainer. I checked one out a Saturday, demoed one on the dealer's lot on Tuesday, bought one on Thursday, was mowing my lawn by 1:30 Friday afternoon, and grinning from ear-to-ear by 1:31. Come to think of it, I'm still grinning every time I mow the lawn.

Check one out for yourself. If you like it and the dealer, buy it; if you don't, go someplace else.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I wanted to be thorough.

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #3  
I'm a dealer for DC and like the product very much. I get very good tech support when needed and that isn't very often.

The Classic is a very popular model and for good reason! I would put the Silver Eagle up against any commercial mower out there, and DC has made some changes in their marketing to do just that. The Classic, just steps it up a notch from there with the quad loop hydraulic system and the t-box driven pumps. The machine is rated to tow 2,000lbs and I don't think there is another machine out there rated that high. The decks are very well built and have had the same spindle parts in them for 28 years now, so there is little excuse for a dealer to not have replacement parts in stock. The front caster wheels have four bearings each and the casters use tapered roller bearings. The frame of the Classic is a six rail design, so it's strong enough that they cover it for life.

You might think after reading this that I am just a dealer promoting the brand that I sell, but I've also been a mechanic all my life and have done welding, fabricating, and machining, so I am VERY careful when picking the products that I sell. I could have picked something cheaper that isn't built as well and been able to offer units to the folks that can't see value, only price, but that's what the box stores are for.

As far as the leaves go, there are many options. I sell a few baggers a year and they do a very nice job, but aren't cheap! They have two styles available. One with a stainless steel hopper that you can unload from the seat of the machine, and one with bags that you remove and dump by hand. You can lower the baffle plates on the front of the deck and keep the OCDC shut and try to mulch the leaves that way. There are many different blade options available that would help with mulching too.

If you haven't had the chance to demo the Classic, you should give it a shot because I really think you would like it!

Ken

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower
Thanks all for the comments, I demo'd the DC classic 27hp/60 and bought one and it's a beast, more than that it's actually a kick to mow with, I'm waiting for it to dry up again so I can get back out there, I looked at every make and model available to compare, and like the Kubota tractors, there's more real bang for the buck with the DC than anything else I saw, but this is just my opinion, and everybody's got one..thanks again...
ps only one problem, I'm turning more pasture into lawn..

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #5  
I am in the third season of owning a Classic. Of the several large deck mowers I have owned over the years, the DC Classic is the best built high quality machine. It will cut anything you throw at it without breaking. BUT it will get stuck in damp grass or muddy areas. It is fantastic on flat or gently rolling ground, but it is unstable mowing on the side of a slight grade. It will mow up a grade like gang busters, but going down that same grade, you have little control. Before I purchased the DC I had a conventional riding mower with a 52" deck and it had no issues mowing ground with a slight grade and it never got stuck in damp or slightly muddy areas. I have not owned a ZTR mower before this one so I do not know if this is just a characteristic of these, but one has to be very careful when turning to prevent tearing up the turf - must really slow down to a craw. My Classic has a Generac engine with fuel injection, but it is a gas hog. I mow about 8 acres and it uses about 5 gal. of fuel per mowing. I know where it got the name "chopper" because that describes the ride. It is a real kidney buster, due partially to its short wheel base. It could really use a sprung suspension on all four wheels. A high dollar "suspension" seat is offered as an option, but I not sure that will solve the harsh ride. I live in a rural area and the only dealer selling heavy duty mowers was the DC dealer. Since purchasing the DC I have looked at other ZTR mowers. I think the Grasshopper with the main pivoting wheels in the rear and the mower deck with smaller pivoting wheels in the front is the better design.

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #6  
I have used Dixie Choppers for aver 20 years, and they are a good mower.

They go up and down hills just fine, but if they break loose on a down hill run, they will slide.

I slid down one hill and then fell over a 4 ft ledge, my mistake , cutting on wet grass.

A technique I used was to cut at a 45 degree angle up and down until I had cut the whole hill.

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #7  
I bought the 2010 3360 DC it has the spring front end and the better and adjustable by weight seat. I absolutely love using this mower it really gets the job done. I agree with some of the others about mowing down a steep hill (it can slide). This mower is built very well and I have had little trouble out of it. I will say I took the mower back to the dealer because the left wheel motor was not pulling like it should. The dealer replaced it with an up graded wheel motor. That was a warranty item other wise it would have cost around $1200.

mower.jpg

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #8  
If you get a Dixie Chopper, get the xCaliber. Its the king of the other models from Dixie Chopper. But I would try different brands, there are lots of problems with Dixies now a days. The mowing frame is cheap and looks flimsy, and the Generac engines have been nothing but trouble. Whatever you get, make sure it is a Kubota engine, Kawasaki engine, or Kohler engine. May I recommend the Exmark Lazer Z.

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #9  
I have a DC Silver Eagle 27hp Generac with a 60 inch deck. The best mower I have ever owned. I cut around 3 1/2 acres a week and never replaced anything on it except blades. Like the man said it will cut anything. Also with leaves it chews them up good. I never rake, I have lots of oak and pecan trees and it does a good job. I had another brand commercial mower and had nothing but problems with pulleys and belts. I will definite get another DC

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ thoughts on buying a new dixie chopper classic ztr mower #10  
We have one local Dixie Chopper dealer here. Hes a nice guy but what keeps him in business is his Husqavuarna equipment, NOT his Dixie Chopper stuff. You'll see some Dixes on trailer around here used by mostly commercial lawn guys who are just starting out and don't know any better or either small single person outfits use them. The big boys around here run Exmark, Deere, Hustler, Toro, and Kubota(county and city mostly use these). Never been a fan of Generac motors. Might be good in generators but not a good mowing engine from what I've seen, read and heard. Ill stick with Kawasaki.