Best walk behind for very hilly lawn

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #1  

shortlid

Silver Member
I am trying to get a old Sesantion commercial self-propeled walk behind running for my VERY hilly 3/4 lawn in New Hampshire. But I am running into parts issues. What do you guys feel is the best self-propeled walk behind I can find used on Craigslist out there. Toro are great by 2 strokes low on torque are not good on long grades. Front drives loose traction on up hill pulls un like rear drives so that leaves the Craftsmans out.;)

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #2  
Troy-Bilt 33" wide self propelled mowers made back pre-MTD, although MTD still makes this mower under the Cub Cadet name. You can see what a new one looks like here:
Walk-Behind Mowers by Cub Cadet

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn
bontai_Joe said:
Troy-Bilt 33" wide self propelled mowers made back pre-MTD, although MTD still makes this mower under the Cub Cadet name. You can see what a new one looks like here:
Walk-Behind Mowers by Cub Cadet

Looks like a nice unit. Is there any in a more trad 22" walk behind platform with a bagger?

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #4  
Toro and Snapper are the two I'd look for, or a Deere "J" series mower if you happen to run into one of them.

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #5  
Billy Goat - Product - Introduction

I bought a slightly used Billygoat Contour about 3 years ago and am convinced there is nothing else out there in it's price range that will work as well. It starts first pull everytime and will walk through anything you can throw at it. With its 3 speed shift on the fly transmission you can always find a good walking speed. My only problem with it, my back yard has a hill that it walks right up, but there's a fence at the top and I don't have enough room to turn around on flat ground. Too steep to turn around on the slope, so had to feather the clutch and let it coast down backward. Kinda scary so I use the J D LX for that hill. If you can get up and over your hills, that Billy Goat may be worth considering. I guarantee its built much better than those toys you buy at department and home improvement stores for as much or more money.

bontai_Joe said:
Toro and Snapper are the two I'd look for, or a Deere "J" series mower if you happen to run into one of them.

I was able to find a used Scotts rear drive self propelled mower with a 6hp engine. I belive John Deere makes the Scotts mower I have a JD dealer just down the sreet might a be a good combo of parts avliable and a well built machine???:confused: What do you guys think?

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #7  
I have no idea as to who build Scotts walk behind mowers, and to tell you the truth, I've never seen one so I can't offer an opinion either way.

That would be a good choice and could power a snow blade and tiller!!:) Where do you find thouse old two wheel tractors any more?:confused:

/ Best walk behind for very hilly lawn #10  
Plenty of the Gravely's out there, I have 2, a 1950 L and a 1975 comm12, another alternative is BCS they are also a well made 2 wheeler