Garden Tractor PTO Problem

/ Garden Tractor PTO Problem #1  

DaveRR

I have a 1994 Troy Bilt Hydro 16 garden tractor. I brought it out of storage for the season, and the PTO won't engage. The PTO worked fine when I put it away for the winter (I tested it after removing/reinstalling the mower deck after cleaning).

The PTO turns on with an electric switch on the dashboard. When I turn the PTO switch on, the PTO light on the dash will come on, but the actual pulley under the engine does not turn. It doesn't matter if the mower deck is connected or not.

The seat safety works fine; with the swtich on, the engine will cut off if I get off the seat.

I tested the battery (I move it indoors for the winter), and it was at 75% charge. I charged it to 100% anyway, and the charge is holding.

I followed the wires from the PTO switch to the engine and everything seems connected. I don't see any fuses for the PTO. (The only fuse I can find appears to be for the electric starter, which is fine).

I'm not a mechanic, but I can handle basic repairs. What else should I look for before I take it to the shop?

I really appreciate the help,
Dave

/ Garden Tractor PTO Problem #2  
I'm not sure which clutch is on that tractor but in general they have a coil winding that will have some sort of resistance. You can check it with an ohm meter across the two terminals at the clutch. Also on certan clutches they have and air gap requirement. If the airgap is too great it will not engage. If you look at the clutch an air gap style clutch will have usually 3-4 adjusting screws/nuts to adjust them. If you don't see them then it's usually non adjustable. Hope that helps.

/ Garden Tractor PTO Problem
Thanks very much for the reply. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find the coil.

I remember there were 3-4 screws, with springs, that might be the adjusting screws you referred to? I'll see if I can find more info, and possibly what the air gap should be.

/ Garden Tractor PTO Problem #4  
Yes if you have those screws there will be an air gap. It is usually .018 to .020.