In Need Of Some Tractor Advice!

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #1  

BigBlue

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD X530, JD D140
Well here's my first post after reading others for several days. I found this forum after searching for lawn/garden tractor reviews and it seems like a good place for some sound advice.
I have a 600 foot paved driveway that I've always plowed with an '85 GMC K2500 pick up. The truck died this past year and I want to get a tractor and snow blower rather than another truck. I only used the truck for plowing. We don't live in a heavy snow area and this past year we had two storms of less than 6" of snow. Even in the worst winters we have had, I've used the plow maybe a total of 15 times.
I have a 16hp. 46" cut Sabre lawn tractor by J.D. that is at least 8 years old and still running like a champ, but I don't want to buy a snowblower for that and have it die a year later. I use the mower to cut 2 acres of grass on a mostly level lot.
When I thought of getting a new tractor I looked first at J.D. and their 100 series, thinking that a $2300 J.D. LT 165 with their $1300 snow blower might work well for me. I want to stay in the 46"-50" mower deck range. After looking further I'm starting to feel that while it might be great for mowing it also might be less than ideal for snow blowing. Now I find myself leaning towards a Cub Cadet GT 2550 mostly due to it's cast iron serviceable transmission and shaft drive. That's a $1500 increase in price to $3800 and doesn't yet include the cost of the snow blower which I believe to be around $1100. A big jump in price to say the least, but one I can justify if it does the job better and longer.
Well okay then, there is my situation and my thoughts on it, hopefully I wasn't too long winded. I would sure appreciate your advice on the matter.
Thanks,
Don

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #2  
Can you get a snowblower for your Sabre that could then be fitted to a new tractor once the Sabre dies? I think that would mean sticking with Deere. In many cases the same snowblower is used between models, just with a different setup kit.

Tim

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #3  
A 600 foot driveway - Maybe the CC2550, but I think you'd be dissatisfied with the performance of those smaller, lighter tractors. And since you have so little snow, I recommend a plow blade instead of a blower. It's way faster on short snow falls and you don't have to worry about snow blowing all over you.

The only problem with a plow is that you need a heavy tractor. If it were me, I'd look for a used JD 318 or 400 series with hydraulic dozer blade for about $3K - $4K. Or something similar in Kubota, cub cadet, simplicity. A used high end garden tractor is way better than any new inexpensive machine.

I can plow up to about 18" of snow at a time. For less than 8 inches or so, I clean my 90 foot drive in about 5 minutes.

Whatever way you go (unless it's 4WD), you'll need chains.

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #4  
The old Sabre plows and snow blowers are no longer available. Two years ago they had a blow out on snow blowers 42" for 300 + freight. I got my dad one for his machine. They work really well. A PIA to put on and off but they worked well. There maybe some around. I think I would find an older garden tractor and plow and go that route if money was and issue.

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #5  
Big Blue

I have 550 feet of paved drive, with a slight incline going towards the road, and from experience if you want to use a tractor for plowing or blowing, you want a heavy duty machine. I live in Connecticut where the storms are growing less intense, but what we do get is often of the heavy wet variety. For years I had a 12hp Wheel Horse with a plow and chains, and always managed to get the job done, but it was not easy at times. If you have alot of snow to move, consider how many times you will have to pull the handle back to raise the plow, and how heavy this gets, you back takes a beating. This 12hp Wheel Horse was a tank, as heavy a tractor for its size ever made. I had it for over 30 years before selling it (got it when I was 14 years old).

I am now using a Toro/Wheel Horse 522XI, 22hp, hydrostatic trans, power steering, shaft drive, hydraulic lifts, snow plow, snow blower, mower deck, vac bagger. What a difference a machine of this size makes when plowing or blowing snow. I look foward to doing it now, its fun not work. The massive weight, (I do add wheel weights and chanins), power steering and hydraulic lift are what really made the difference in my opinion. My snow blower can throw snow over the top of a one car garage. I suggest you look for a good used Wheel Horse 520xi or 522xi. These were designed before Toro purchased Wheel Horse, so they are built in the classic Wheel Horse fashion, which means over built, and made to last. I can change from the deck, to the snow blower without the need for a single tool. Pull some pins, flip a few levers, and I'm done.

My hole setup new was well over 10K, but you can purchase used for quite a bit less (selling mine if you are near CT). For example, just the snow blower goes for over 2K new. I have attached a couple of pictures. Good luck in your search. JD and CC have made and make some comparable machines, you just want to stick to the heavy duty lines, not the lightweight versions.

Rick

Attachments

• 522xi blower 2.JPG
    522xi blower 2.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 522xi plow 2.JPG
    522xi plow 2.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 137
   / In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #6  
I think the Cub 2500 series is a good choice. It's a heavy duty garden tractor, and will last a long time. The Deere X-300 series is a little less haevy duty, the X-500 series is better, but more money. In any event, I think you would be best served with a GT from Deere, Cub Cadet, Simplicity (and Simplicity's clones from AGCO & Massey Ferguson & Snapper). As for blower vs. plow. I have used a plow on an old Deere 316 for many years with good results. I bought a snowblower attachment for it around 4 years ago, and haven't seen a noteworthy snow since, so I have no first hand knowledge as to which works better. Plow is cheaper and will work on snows up to about a foot deep. My thinking was a blower is nice on the deep monsters we used to get but I'm still waiting for a winter like that.

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #7  
How about another old truck?:D :D Might be the cheapest route.:D :D :D

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice!
Egon said:
How about another old truck?:D :D Might be the cheapest route.:D :D :D

You may be right. The only reason I don't want another truck is because I only use it for plowing so it's sits the rest of the year. That just isn't good for a vehicle.
Don

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #9  
Rick,

I like your wheelhorse setup. You say it's for sale? I have a friend you is not too far away. He might be interested.

/ In Need Of Some Tractor Advice! #10  
Gittyup said:
A 600 foot driveway - Maybe the CC2550, but I think you'd be dissatisfied with the performance of those smaller, lighter tractors. And since you have so little snow, I recommend a plow blade instead of a blower. It's way faster on short snow falls and you don't have to worry about snow blowing all over you.

The only problem with a plow is that you need a heavy tractor. If it were me, I'd look for a used JD 318 or 400 series with hydraulic dozer blade for about $3K - $4K. Or something similar in Kubota, cub cadet, simplicity. A used high end garden tractor is way better than any new inexpensive machine.

I can plow up to about 18" of snow at a time. For less than 8 inches or so, I clean my 90 foot drive in about 5 minutes.

Whatever way you go (unless it's 4WD), you'll need chains.
A CC 2500 series with a johnny plow on it would be nice.