Mower Deck: "Float" or "Hang"

/ Mower Deck: "Float" or "Hang" #1  

ancientlake

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM226D, AC 653 Crawler Dozer, lots of JD 200 series garden tractors
I've had a JD 210 with the 47" deck for many years. I have always adjusted the deck so that it "hangs" from the tractor and the guide wheels only contact the ground on high spots. I just got another 200 series tractor and the deck is adjusted very differently. The deck is adjusted so it drops all the way to the ground, and it basically "floats" while rolling on all 4 guide wheels (the guide wheels are in the highest postion). Seems to give a good cut as the deck follows the terrain. What's the "right" way to position the deck?

/ Mower Deck: "Float" or "Hang" #2  
The deck should hang, with the anti-scalp wheels about 1/2" off the ground.

Tim

/ Mower Deck: "Float" or "Hang" #3  
2nd the hang thing. Your gauge wheels will last longer.

/ Mower Deck: "Float" or "Hang"
Found a manual for the deck online and about every third paragraph it says that the gauge wheels should not just ride on the ground. Did seem like the pounding would beat up the deck pretty badly and looking more closely, the wheels are chewed up. Did cut nicely like that though... Thanks for replying,
chris

Ps still amazed how well those older, lower horsepower JD graden tractors perform. There is a noticeable wet tall grass power advantage between the 210 and the 214 though...