electric fence question

/ electric fence question #1  

Diesel_Boy

Silver Member
i have a 25' X 50' garden. i want to keep out the deer and woodchucks. i want to install an electric fence. i'll need to put one wire at about 30" up and one at about 6". has anyone used this kit? would it be sufficient? i know i will have to add some wire to it for the size of my garden, but basically, will it work for deer, enough voltage, etc.? i have never used electric fences, so any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

thanks, and any other suggestions as to other kits would be appreciated.

/ electric fence question #2  
Hi
Our garden is about 50x50 I installed 12' poles in the ground about 4' so we have a good 8' high fence.

I put 1st wire about 6" off the ground and the rest in one foot wide spacing.

I got all my stuff from Kencove. And used this 12 Volt Solar charger.
Kencove Farm Fence Supplies - Solar Energizers

So far its been about 2yrs and we are deer free so far. Heres a good link for some reading Kencove Farm Fence - Electric, High Tensile Wire Fencing Supplies, Gates, Grazing, Cattle, Horse, Goat, Deer, Poultry, Garden

I did have to go back this yr and concrete my four corner post cause they started to lean in some.
Maybe I pulled the wire to tight but was no big deal took about 3 hr on a sat.

Good luck on your fence job.

Ron.

/ electric fence question #3  
Diesel_Boy said:
i have a 25' X 50' garden. i want to keep out the deer and woodchucks. i want to install an electric fence. i'll need to put one wire at about 30" up and one at about 6". has anyone used this kit? would it be sufficient? i know i will have to add some wire to it for the size of my garden, but basically, will it work for deer, enough voltage, etc.? i have never used electric fences, so any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

thanks, and any other suggestions as to other kits would be appreciated.

For some reason that link didn't work for me.

Here is what I found out when I had an electric fence:

1. The ground is the most important part of the system. Buy a good grounding kit, the local farm store here sells one with three 6' ground rods and 10ga wire.

2. Don't let the grass grow up high enough to touch the wire. That will ground out the system and the animals won't get a shock at all. Similarly, electric fences don't work over roads (gravel or otherwise). I had an electric fence over my gravel road, you could watch the goats crawl under the wire and get out. Their hooves wouldn't get good enough contact with the ground to complete the circuit, hence they could come and go as they please.

Good luck, post some pics when it's done!

Greg

/ electric fence question #4  
Surprised no one has mentioned. A single wire 30" off the ground is not going to stop deer. You should plan on several strans of wire up to about 6'.

I don't have this problem but so know deer can jump pretty high without much effort.

/ electric fence question #5  
Mickey_Fx said:
Surprised no one has mentioned. A single wire 30" off the ground is not going to stop deer. You should plan on several strans of wire up to about 6'.

I don't have this problem but so know deer can jump pretty high without much effort.

DITTO! Plan on at least a 6 foot high fence, 8 feet would be better. Deere can jump really high with little effort. I know of a house that got tired of feeding the deer with his expensive landscaping and surrounded his entire property with a 10 foot high multi-strand electric fence. It looks like a POW camp, but his plants are finally safe.

/ electric fence question #6  
Yep, build high and get a high impedence electric fence charger.... this kind costs more, but will maintain a charge even when weeds and grass grow up against it. I'd get one rated for 30 or 50 miles of fence..... and, DO ground the charger properly. Also, alternate your wires, hot and ground then hot then ground...

/ electric fence question #7  
I've started doing the same with my garden... don't have a problem with deer though, just raccoons, and our dogs. I put the first wire about 6" off the ground and then the next 6" above that, and then the 3rd wire 12" above that. Problems solved.

I'm using an electric fencer rated for 30 miles of fence, and it will burn off any weeds that get up against it. Trust me, you don't want to get zapped by it, it will bring you to your knees. It's probably a little harsh for the dogs too, but they learn real quick to stay out of the garden.

/ electric fence question #8  
Personally, I totally avoid the burning type of fence charger..... it gets dry here and I'm extremely afraid of fire..... wouldn't have one... but I know people do use them successfully.... the high impedence charger is effectively same price without the fire risk.