PROS CONS MID MOUNT VS FRONT MOUNT? ZERO TURN

/ PROS CONS MID MOUNT VS FRONT MOUNT? ZERO TURN #1  

sperry

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T300 HST, Kubota B7610HST, XMark Lazer Z 60"
INFO NEEDED
Wondering if someone could give some advice about front mounted mower deck vs mid mount. I have about 12 acres of mowing to do with lots of obstacles and hill. I'm wondering if my tractor with 3pt mower is the right implement for the job, given it cant do zero turns or get close to trees. I'm looking at the Exmark Front Runner and the Lazer XS. I also want to look at the Scag products.

/ PROS CONS MID MOUNT VS FRONT MOUNT? ZERO TURN #2  
Mid mounts can't get under trees as well as a front mount can. You might also want to look at a Gravely Rapid XDZ for a front mount unit. They come in both 60" and 72" cuts. With the Rapid, you might give up your mowing with the 3-pt unit. :)

/ PROS CONS MID MOUNT VS FRONT MOUNT? ZERO TURN #3  
front mount - can reach under trees and over/up banks
mid mount - easier to follow sharp curves and zero turn

I've had a Scag Tiger for a few years now, it replaced a Steiner (4wd with front mount deck). I like the Scag better for pretty well everything: hills, trees, flat ground, you name it.

/ PROS CONS MID MOUNT VS FRONT MOUNT? ZERO TURN #4  
Mid Z has better traction because of weight distribution. Also more compact for better manuverability in tight places. A front mount Z can sometimes take pto attachmnets. You have to figure what you want to do with it and get the appropriate one.